BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Making foundation

<< < (7/8) > >>

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on January 14, 2022, 05:57:01 am ---      I don't believe I shared this.... Information in a long time... I was a beekeeper in North Africa..   Sponsor by United States Peace Corp.. In 1983 to 1985.. It was nearly impossible to get wax foundation... So I went foundation less... Yes it worked well.
They're also. Was no Honey extractors.. Did a crush and strain... This was a new concept... To the beekeepers I was helping... The biggest thing that took off for me..  Solar wax melters..  This was in a country called Tunisia.. Before this I never did foundation less..  The site I was assigned to... What is right along the Mediterranean sea..  There was square miles of  Thyme and Rosemary.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

--- End quote ---

All Interesting Jim, tell us about the unique honey from these herbal plants. Was there a noticeable difference in its taste than other honeys?

Phillip

Jim134:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on January 14, 2022, 12:00:31 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jim 134 on January 14, 2022, 05:57:01 am ---      I don't believe I shared this.... Information in a long time... I was a beekeeper in North Africa..   Sponsor by United States Peace Corp.. In 1983 to 1985.. It was nearly impossible to get wax foundation... So I went foundation less... Yes it worked well.
They're also. Was no Honey extractors.. Did a crush and strain... This was a new concept... To the beekeepers I was helping... The biggest thing that took off for me..  Solar wax melters..  This was in a country called Tunisia.. Before this I never did foundation less..  The site I was assigned to... What is right along the Mediterranean sea..  There was square miles of  Thyme and Rosemary.

--- End quote ---

All Interesting Jim, tell us about the unique honey from these herbal plants. Was there a noticeable difference in its taste than other honeys?

Phillip

--- End quote ---

I never could smell or taste very well... I know the locals could tell... This honey brought a premium price... At was  1 1/2 to 2 times the price of regular honey... Honey from eucalyptus trees... What's about the same price.... As honey in the USA at that time....  As compared to the USA...

Ben Framed:
In my earlier reply I had said I was going plastic all the way. I haven't made the complete transition yet. I see advantages on both counts. Plastic and foundation less.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Ralphee on October 22, 2020, 12:54:21 am ---The aluminum molds are expensive, i wonder if a 3D printed mold using a heat resistance plastic would work?
Beeswax has a relatively low melting point range of 62 to 64 ?C (144 to 147 ?F), so it doesn't have to be highly heat resistant.
Now to try and find someone with a 3D printer! - has anyone tried this??

--- End quote ---

Beemaster2 was looking into this. Jim did you have good results?

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Phillip,
Bill Murray has the 3d printed molds. He has been at bee camp.  We are supposed to work on it when he gets home.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version