BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Acebird?s mead.

<< < (7/8) > >>

Acebird:
The time to ferment will depend on what yeast you use.  Some are slower then others.
I would not add fruit to mead until you have had success with a basic mead.  It complicates the process and masks the natural flavors of the raw nectars.  You shouldn't have to add fruit to make the mead drinkable is my opinion.

BeeMaster2:
Brian,
Finally able to stop and start some mead. We just setup 5 gallons today. We started boiling the water early this morning. We just added the yeast and are waiting for it to reach room temperature to put the trap on.
Bill Murray provided the honey. It is at 19.7% which is perfect for making mead. Thanks Bill. If I can get another car it, we?ll make another 5 gallons for my daughter.
Jim Altmiller

BeeMaster2:

Acebird:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on July 24, 2021, 11:04:47 pm ---Brian,
Finally able to stop and start some mead. We just setup 5 gallons today. We started boiling the water early this morning. We just added the yeast and are waiting for it to reach room temperature to put the trap on.
Bill Murray provided the honey. It is at 19.7% which is perfect for making mead. Thanks Bill. If I can get another car it, we?ll make another 5 gallons for my daughter.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
Jim what temperature did you put the yeast in?  It can't be hot.  I mix the yeast in the pot, transfer the must to the carboy and shake heck out of it.

BeeMaster2:
We waited until the temp was at 100 degrees. I shook the heck out of it for quite a while, lots of bubbles. We hydrated the yeast when the temperature was 110, expecting it to drop quickly but it was over a half hor before we were able to add it. It did not take long before it started to bubble.
It has been bubbling nonstop ever since.

Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version