Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundation Question  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
Foundation Question
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:34:24 am »
Hi there, i am making my first frames, ready to swap in for capped honey frames tomorrow :)

I have full sized frames and i have wired them up. Can some one please describe howw to install the was foundation?I ahve read quite a few artciels, but they seem to apply to different frames?

My frame, i bouhgt from redpaths in Parkdale, have a single groove in the top bar. There is no wedge or bead and there is no groove in the bottom.

Do i simply heat wire, weave the wax between the wire and press it on? Or do i need to create a bead of wax in the groove in the top bar, or will the bees do it themselves?

Appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Foundation Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:41:34 am »

This may help you   Robo is one of the staff at Beemaster

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/frames-and-frame-assembly/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:38:41 am »
Thanks for the tip. Buildin the frames is easy enough, but adding the foundation was tricky for the first time, i ruined two, but got it on ok after that.

First i tried using the stove to heat the wired, then soldering iron, then i grab an end of life motorbike battery i had and hooked the wires to that directly - worked perfectly.

Motorbike workshops have to pay to get rid of these, so getting one for free should be easy for those who need one :)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:00:40 am »
Hi Pete, we shop at the same shop.

How did you wire the frames, did you make a board?

Some tips on OUR frames, knock an extra nail in at all corners. Trim the wax sheets by a cm or so, makes it easier to attach the wires. Ive used the same transformer for 4 years with wire and aligator clips. I put the wax in the freezer before using, makes it easier to melt in coz they dead flat. If your wire is loose, shove in a bit of stick cut in half under the wire on the outside of the frame, I do two to make equal pressure. You can also do this to reuse loose frames after extraction. Tightens them up a beauty.

I never use a wedge. Sometimes I will shove a bit of wax on each side of the bottom of the sheet if I think anything looks a bit loose.

I was lucky enough to get a crash course in constructing a hive from the other brother at the shop. I think Gordon died because I havent seen him for years. The Redpaths have also written several books on beekeeping. Them what run the shop now can seem a bit mean on the advice side, but thats just them. If you ask, they will tell. The other bloke was a hoot, a gregarious character. he gave me this 25 min crash course as the shop was closing, "are you with me" kind of thing. Showed me how to build and wire a frame, put together bottom board, cover, supers all the time giving me a running commentary on bees. I reckon I learnt 90% of whats necessary in that short time and years since just confirming what he told me.

Theres another bloke in Vic in Northcote, me in Carrum and Hill Billy Geoff down Sale way. Thats it for the Vics, so its good to have you just 20k down the track.

Redpaths have reasonable prices, you wont really beat them interstate coz of shipping costs. if they havent got it they will get it.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:29:32 am »
Hey Mick, don't forget we've got a bloke up the Yarra Valley somewhere too

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:46:28 am »

Theres another bloke in Vic in Northcote, me in Carrum and Hill Billy Geoff down Sale way. Thats it for the Vics, so its good to have you just 20k down the track.

Well thanks for the mention mick, love you too :).

Need to get down to redpaths to buy some more frames myself. I've been experimenting with foundationless which looks like it could work very well.

James.

Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:49 am »
I thought you had vanished.

I found out the other day Redpaths delilver too if that helps.

They now sell assembled and painted supers for 10 bucks extra, a good deal IMO.

If I want wired frames I get em shipped from palmers http://www.honeybee.com.au/catalogue/cindex.html if I get em from them, I get them with foundation put in, costs no more really than a sheet of wax.

Offline robbo

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:31:09 am »
Hi Pete,

I got a bit of foundation working on a video - its up towards the end. That 4 pronged embedding tool is around $30, and would go ok on a bike battery

Im using the same full depth frame with a groove only on the top bar.

Honey Bee Frame Building, Wiring, and Foundation, Full Depth - How to / I do it here Australia

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:37:40 am »
I like the way the frames are put together. A hell of a lot quicker than what I do, but then I only have a couple of hives and don't need to do that many.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:05:00 am »
I use an old battery charger at each end of the wire for only a second or two

Slciko

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:06:58 pm »
Too perfect and complex system.

Leave a 10 mm gap between  foundation and  the lower frame stick.
Often the wax enlarge in the heat of the hive and the comb get a curve in lower part.
The gap gives space to enlarge.
Language barrier NOT included

anything