Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bees in tree  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Anne Onimous

• New Bee
Honey Bees in tree
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »
A couple days ago, we noticed that honey bees have moved into an old pine tree in our front yard. They are in a space that was just vacated by some robins about 10 feet up. There seems to be quite a bit of activity coming and going. 

Edited to add: The entrance is facing south east. We are surrounded by soybean fields and areas of goldenrod. Also, the bees have been very busy in my herb garden (basil, thyme, rosemary).

I just got my smoker, beesuit, hat and veil BUT my hive equipment hasn't arrived yet. I was thinking about contacting some members of my local beek club to see if anyone had some hive equipment I could purchase.

But I am wondering if we should leave them in the tree and wait until spring to try to move them.
Thoughts on this?

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey Bees in tree
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
If I understand you correctly, the bees just moved in a few days ago.  My thought is that it's pretty late in the year for them to find a new home, move in and draw comb, and put away enough stores to make it through the winter.  Because of that, I would say, move them into a hive where you can feed them through the winter... unless you know of a way to feed them up there in that tree.

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:12:39 pm »
I too just located a Tree with Bees (well actually my Wife found it even though I am the one reading all the books  :oops:). 

This was my first Wild Honey Bee encounter (I posted pics in the Photos Forum).  I don't have any of my stuff yet but believe me I got excited just like you when I found that tree.  My thoughts were.... "I bet I could put a pillow case over my head and get my Ladder and an old Butterfly Net and.....  "  :-D   

I say try to catch em'... call someone in your club, you never know.  But I bet you would have to feed them over the Winter and I don't know what they would think of you new Bees when you got them in the Spring??

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »
Unless the tree will be cut down I would leave them right where they are, you could do some supplemental feeding, and I would place swarm traps up next spring to catch swarms.

Usually in most cases people underestimate how long bees have been in a particular location, so they may be more set up than you think. I'm not saying you are not observant, I'm saying you just noticed them and I usually give the bees the benefit of the doubt of being there longer than we think they've been there.

Now if you know for a fact how long they've been there and if they indeed just set up, you could trap them out(use someone who has done this, successfully) house and feed them, or leave them and feed them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Anne Onimous

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:25:31 pm »
Our plan is to leave the tree standing, so no plans to cut it down. We were waiting for the robins to vacate the nest before closing up the hole, but the bees moved in before we got the job done. But the longest the bees could have been in the tree is 1 1/2 to 2 weeks max.

As I mentioned, my equipment has been on back order all summer. I just got the small stuff, but the hive equipment still hasn't arrived. I'm still waiting to hear from some beek club members if they have some equipment I could purchase.

Would I be better off moving these bees to old foundation so the bees have an easier time of working it before winter?
OR is new foundation okay?

I have no idea how I would do supplemental feeding 10 feet up! I am only 5 feet tall... :D

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:22 am »
How are you planning on getting the bees out of the tree and onto your foundation? 
Charla Hinkle

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:01:36 am »
Our plan is to leave the tree standing, so no plans to cut it down. We were waiting for the robins to vacate the nest before closing up the hole, but the bees moved in before we got the job done. But the longest the bees could have been in the tree is 1 1/2 to 2 weeks max.

As I mentioned, my equipment has been on back order all summer. I just got the small stuff, but the hive equipment still hasn't arrived. I'm still waiting to hear from some beek club members if they have some equipment I could purchase.

Would I be better off moving these bees to old foundation so the bees have an easier time of working it before winter?
OR is new foundation okay?

I have no idea how I would do supplemental feeding 10 feet up! I am only 5 feet tall... :D

BTW, love the name, catchy! Search this site on feeding and supplemental feeding, you don't have to bring the feed to the bees they will find it if they need it, just get your feeder close.

I would leave them where they are, your winter is fast approaching and they are set up, removing them now could be their demise.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Anne Onimous

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:04:34 am »
Charmed2,  As newbees ourselves, we were discussing whether it would be better to leave them alone or remove them. So really, we were waiting to hear from folks here before doing anything, without a real plan.

Yeah, JP, that was our original thought - leave them alone until spring. The opening is on the lea side of the tree, facing southeast, so that will help some. But I think if they survive in that tree, they should prove to be a strong hive.

As a side note: At our last beek club meeting, a couple members mentioned they would help with swarms, but they did not want to take away any more bees this year. I thought that sounded encouraging after hearing of losses the past couple years.

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:35:54 am »
Anne, 

The problem with bees in trees is that if you aren't going to cut the tree down, then you need to apply a cone trap out..  in a tree I think that might be a tad bit difficult.  (I tried one this year, and by difficult I mean impossible for me...  some around here are great at trapouts, I am apparently not one of them) 

Check out the removal threads, but in all honesty I would leave them alone, and hope to catch swarms off of them to start a hive next spring.  Search swarm traps.  That option would give you time to get all of your equiptment ready, and do a little more reading on the subject. 

Charla
Charla Hinkle

Offline Anne Onimous

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:49 pm »
Charla,

I think we will leave them alone. My greatest fear would be falling from the ladder. :D

We are having great fun watching them; it looks like they might be Italians.

The basil in our garden was completely covered in honey and bumble bees yesterday afternoon. And I was also able to catch a glimpse of a couple honey bees on the hummingbird feeder at the kitchen window. Our last pair of hummers left us this week-end and with the night time temps in the mid to upper 40's, the syrup has visibly thickened. I was going to remove the hummer feeders this week, but maybe if I can remove the tops, I could leave them up a bit longer for the honey bees use.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 03:38:47 pm »
Charla,

I think we will leave them alone. My greatest fear would be falling from the ladder. :D

We are having great fun watching them; it looks like they might be Italians.

The basil in our garden was completely covered in honey and bumble bees yesterday afternoon. And I was also able to catch a glimpse of a couple honey bees on the hummingbird feeder at the kitchen window. Our last pair of hummers left us this week-end and with the night time temps in the mid to upper 40's, the syrup has visibly thickened. I was going to remove the hummer feeders this week, but maybe if I can remove the tops, I could leave them up a bit longer for the honey bees use.

Warm the syrup up and put it out during the warmest portion of the day, if you can. Then bring it in later, repeat next day.

...JP

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:17:16 am »
My brother was over yesterday and says he found a bee tree near his property.  the neighbors say it's been there for 4-5 years. 
Guess where I'm setting up a bait hive or 2 nest year.   The neighbors don't mind it's being there so I might be able to mine it for swarms for several years.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:05 am »
My brother was over yesterday and says he found a bee tree near his property.  the neighbors say it's been there for 4-5 years. 
Guess where I'm setting up a bait hive or 2 nest year.   The neighbors don't mind it's being there so I might be able to mine it for swarms for several years.

May I wish you an early "Merry Christmas!"

...JP

anything