Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They dont like my substitute  (Read 2165 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
They dont like my substitute
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:56 am »
After putting some homemade pollen substitute patties, I thought they ate it up. After an inspection on one hive it was completely gone, but when I looked in a different hive, it was still there with crumbs scattered everywhere. It seems they are attracted to it since I mixed some syrup with it, but the crumbs look like it is the yeast that they seperated from it.

Here is the mix:
3 parts soy flour
1 part yeast ( I couldn't find brewers so I used bread yeast)
1 part dry milk
Mixed it with as much 1/1 syrup with hbh, until it was like playdough consisity.
Rolled it into patties and put it in freezer.

Maybe wrong/bad ingredient? Maybe not enough water? Maybe I should have let the yeast work a little before putting in freezer?

I also weighed the end result and found that I can buy them cheaper than making them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: They dont like my substitute
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:38 pm »
As long as real pollen is available they will prefer that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:10:07 pm »
So, the ingredients are good if they are starving?
I am thinking of putting patties in with emergency sugar board.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:53 pm »
You have to be careful when feeding pollen patties in the winter. They need regular purging flights and it will entice them into raising brood when they shouldn't be.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:48 am »
>So, the ingredients are good if they are starving?

Substitute leads to short lived bees.  I have no need for short lived bees.  Your ingredients are as good as most...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:12:24 pm »
Where are you that you need a substitute?  Goldenrod is blooming like crazy in eastern NC.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »
Thanks to all that replied. I was experimenting with make my own stuff and wanted a split that was a little weak to rear more brood. I only fed them once and the rest is in the freezer. I am thinking of mixing it with emergency feed if they need it.

The golden rod flow is still going here but who knows when it will end. It seems to have been going for a while now. I am going to add another medium on a hive tomorrow in case they need more room. And after/if they fill it, give it to the weak one.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:16 pm »
I wish we had goldenrod. Generally we get some false dandelion (hawkweed) and queen ann’s lace. This year it is even too dry for them.  I have added supplement after a commercial keep came in and talked about what a bonus it was in our local area for overwintering success.  I just about cried when I pulled out my wallet.  If any of the singles that I made up this year make it because of the supplement I will be ahead of the curve for next year. 
It was recommended to just let it out in feeder (or an empty nuc) but I see no activity on it.  I mixed up a dozen pounds or so and started putting it inside the hives.

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 08:31:23 pm »
is it ok to stack a couple for cold weather?

anyone

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 09:19:02 pm »
I'm going into winter with one deep and two mediums, (hopefully 2) if they don't draw them all and fill and cap, I'll be taking some off and in the freezer, until late winter.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:36 am »
sub has to be atleast 50% sugar for consumpstion-I havent taken time to do a break down of
your recipe--but the trick is to get %50 or more sugar for cosumption and values that create
%9 -%19 protien--good recipes are most sacred-but %50 sugar for consumption is a starting point
you are on track now --RDY-B

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:41 am »
We are using protein patties and syrup as to get fat bees and big numbers going into winter. We believe our investment will pay off with strong spring hives in honey and splits.

anything