Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I smashed a queen picking it up, and she's still laying  (Read 1272 times)

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
I smashed a queen picking it up, and she's still laying
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:35 pm »
I damaged a queen, and she's still laying eggs, with a big dent in her abdomen, I wonder how long before the worker bees notice?
made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dBhAVCUkI
BackyardBeesNC.com

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: I smashed a queen picking it up, and she's still laying
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:19:42 am »
I mashed one in a cutout once, she was not dented but I had fear that she was severely injured. I visited a nearby famous beekeeper, Walls Bee Man (Tim Durham),  and he told me she would be alright. I am glad to tell you Tim nailed it. In your case I do not know. I will say since she is laying all hope is not gone. I wish I could tell you more. Surely there are some of our more experienced keepers here that will have more to say about this. If not please report back because I would also like to know what is to be expected in a case like this.

Thanks,

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 06:41:16 pm »
If she is laying, don't fret. If she runs out the bees themselves will replace her. Biggest concern is if drones are available to breed the replacement. Hopefully she will last long enough to make it till breeding season if not.
Neill

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 07:16:14 pm »
The queens 4th segment is dented.  That is the right ovary just underneath the exoskeleton.  The ovary is probably damaged,, however each ovary is composed of hundreds of rows of thousands of cells.  A few rows, out of hundreds, are damaged from the pic.

I cant tell internal damage from the pic, however I can provide the very basic above info.  The segments, 5 and 6, the last two segments, are the most sensitive as this is the area of the spermatheca and value fold, no damage as seen in the pic.  Best to the queen.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 09:19:29 pm »
Even if they decide to replace her, they will create supercedure cells and you will end up with 2 queens laying side by side for about a month or so. Not a bad thing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 09:59:45 pm »
It happens, I had one that looked like she got caught by a bird. Never did well

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:57:02 pm »
I once accidentally dented a queens thorax marking her and I felt bad for the rest of the season
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:56 am »
I've already got 14 mating nucs full of queen cells, I guess I'll replace her soon with one of those.
BackyardBeesNC.com