Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen buying lost/dead queen question  (Read 3192 times)

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
queen buying lost/dead queen question
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:35:59 pm »
Hi All,

I've got 5 queens I bought that Australia post have lost somewhere near Brisbane.

If they are lost in the post or turn up two weeks late and dead is it my responsibility or the queen breeder ? i.e. can I ask for replacements to be sent.
My address is clear and I've had 3 lots of queen bees delivered to it in the past.

Cheers

Damien

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: queen buying lost/dead queen question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 11:46:13 pm »
Good queen breeders here will replace queens lost in the mail. Give them a call and tell them you have not received them. They usually do not last more than about 5 days.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:02:54 am »
Well, I don't know how they ship queens over there.  I've seen the seller ship
his queen inside a small cage with 4 attendants.  Then put in 34 more young nurse bees in the outside bigger bee transport cardboard box with screens on.  There is a damp sponge and sugar candy inside the bigger box for the bees. So this queen should last a few weeks should it be missing in transport for awhile.  The seller took very good care on wrapping things for me. 

Yes, definitely contact the seller to see if you can get a replacement or a refund if it
cannot be done.   It is nobody's fault other than the post office.  Maybe the seller has insurance on this package.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:34:20 am »
Beepro,
We get the extra bees in large orders, usually 25 and larger. They put them in a, what is called, a battery box. Most do not for just 5 queens.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sjh

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:11:27 pm »
Damien,
Does the order have a tracking number if so Australia Post will be the ones to chase up for a refund.
The powers to be at Australia Post do not like it when a package goes missing, I have worked for Australia Post in the past.
Hopefully they turn up!!!
Steve.

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 07:19:13 pm »
They just arrived today, so 7 days from posting.
all queens are alive, but lots of candy eaten and some dead workers.

It messed with my schedule a little as I was planning to do the re-queening on the weekend.
I'm thinking of putting all 5 in one de-queened hive with the candy cap on till next weekend.

Cheers

Damien

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:48:56 am »
Glad they make it. Did they just have workers in the cells with the queens or did they also have workers outside of the queen cells?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »

I think I've managed to attach a photo.
No workers outside the cages.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 07:24:50 pm »
That is normal for just a few queens.
Jim
Ben Franklin