Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving overwintered hives  (Read 5363 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Moving overwintered hives
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:28:04 am »
My apiary has expanded too much for my suburban yard. Last evening I took two of my overwintered purvis hives and moved them to a friends house. They were a deep and a medium. They were extremely heavy(note to self, move two weeks earlier next year). They are begining to make surplus honey and were very full. W/o expensive equipment, how do you guys move heavy hives from location to location? I also moved them at night, so seprating into pices was not an option this time.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Nate

• House Bee
Re: Moving overwintered hives
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
could you strap it together and roll it on a hand truck?  or something similar to a hand truck?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:23 pm »
 :roll: Two weeks earlier next year. Better make that 3 or 4.
you will find even the deeps are lots lighter when full of bees and brood rather than honey.

I never did and never will move alone unless I do have some sort of dolly/hand truck.
hands down.doak

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:15 am »
I was thinking of seprating the pieces and placing on hand cart in daytime, put hand cart right were hive was and wait until sundown. Now the hive is on cart. But i would still have to put in car and move at new location. And I could only move one hive a night. not gas efficient.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »
Hey guys!
MB had some pic's, and comments, on his web sit about some modified handtrucks he uses.
As far as moving them I thought about putting a hitch on my car and renting a U-haul trailer.
 Good idea...? Or not?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:36:23 pm »
Make sure it has a ramp so you can just roll em up...that's what I'd do, it's only about $20 for a trailer.  We use em all the time to deliver granite.  Listen to me, sound like an expert, all decisive & bossy!   :shock: Just make sure you buckle em in safe & tight...I imagine they wouldn't have much of a sense of humor being tossed around.... ;) I'm sure more seasoned beekeepers will have better advice!! :roll:
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 07:55:54 pm »
My apiary has expanded too much for my suburban yard. Last evening I took two of my overwintered purvis hives and moved them to a friends house. They were a deep and a medium. They were extremely heavy(note to self, move two weeks earlier next year). They are begining to make surplus honey and were very full. W/o expensive equipment, how do you guys move heavy hives from location to location? I also moved them at night, so seprating into pices was not an option this time.

Dude,

You should have called me, I have one of those hive carriers ( 2 man operational ) from Brushy. Now I'll be buggin' you to help me move mine cause all my local friends are non-beeks ( spineless people with fear of insects ), even my brother will not go near  bees  :-x
I have straps and BIG staples to do the job.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »
The two man hive carrier is the way to do it. Hand truck with the hive strapped together would be a back up plan. If you keep increasing your hive numbers you are going to have to get a skid steer loader. :-D