Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching  (Read 8591 times)

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Catching
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2024, 12:30:56 pm »
Swarming is a two step process.  First the swarm bivouacs and second moves to the new location.  There's nothing wrong with keeping a swarm trap in your yard but a russian scion is even better because you're missing the first step with a trap.  Or at least double the chances of catching the swarm before they move on.  You can catch them easier on a scion attached to a rope and lower them to a hive body.  Im not perfect but can head off most swarms before they happen.  When I see a monster swarm with a great queen in a tree I failed.  Best practices are the responsible thing to do so your bees dont become someone else's problem.  Ive spent a lot of time rearing great queens and bees, I dont want some guy down the road killing them because they are going into his attic, barn, or siding.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2024, 10:41:02 am »
Swarming is a two step process.  First the swarm bivouacs and second moves to the new location.  There's nothing wrong with keeping a swarm trap in your yard but a russian scion is even better because you're missing the first step with a trap.  Or at least double the chances of catching the swarm before they move on.  You can catch them easier on a scion attached to a rope and lower them to a hive body.  Im not perfect but can head off most swarms before they happen.  When I see a monster swarm with a great queen in a tree I failed.  Best practices are the responsible thing to do so your bees dont become someone else's problem.  Ive spent a lot of time rearing great queens and bees, I dont want some guy down the road killing them because they are going into his attic, barn, or siding.

Wish I had known about this before now.  Thanks for the great tip!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2024, 12:20:29 pm »
I put a russian scion out yesterday so I'll see what that does. I didn't get too fancy with it, just a board with wax and lemongrass oil on it. I have a camera on it too so I don't have to go out there to check on it.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2024, 01:29:39 pm »
Been considering adding a game camera to my bee yard to see what kind of animal chews on my hives.  Now I have another reason to add one - the Russian scion strategy.

The solar cellular cameras don't cost that much, plus $20 a month for the T-mobile cellular service.

Considering how much I have lost in swarms and paying for nucs and trips to San Antonio ...
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2024, 03:53:40 pm »
Now there's about three times as many bees checking out the trap as any other time they were out there. It's like Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds', except it's bees. They hit it hard about 1300 and haven't let up. I don't think they moved in as of yet but it almost looks like it the way they're going in and out. I have my fingers crossed.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2024, 05:58:29 pm »
Sounds a bit like ?the watched pot never boils? syndrome. If you want away on holidays for a period of time, you could almost guarantee a swarm would move in during your absence.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2024, 07:27:38 pm »
There could be some merit to that!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2024, 07:49:54 pm »
Terri,
Sounds like you are about to bee the proud owner of a new hive. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2024, 09:50:20 pm »
Now there's about three times as many bees checking out the trap as any other time they were out there. It's like Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds', except it's bees. They hit it hard about 1300 and haven't let up. I don't think they moved in as of yet but it almost looks like it the way they're going in and out. I have my fingers crossed.

Now thats more like it and what I meant in reply #59. Thumbs Up!! Good Luck..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2024, 10:10:13 pm »
Thanks folks. They either left or hunkered down deep inside the hive for the night. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2024, 09:59:41 am »
When I see a monster swarm with a great queen in a tree I failed.

Thank you beesnweeds if everyone understood this statement they would; have stronger hives, make more honey, and have in general helthier hives of bees.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2024, 10:15:43 am »
And so far today, activity is light again. There was a post on NextDoor here recently that someone scored a swarm with a marked queen in it.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2024, 01:42:35 pm »
I plan to check frequently.
If you have your trap within WIFI range, I'd get a camera set up so you don't have to check and won't miss any action. Mine lets me know anytime a bee comes onto the scene (which hasn't happened today) and I can open up the app and watch without having to run out there. I got it tuned pretty good now and am not getting any false alarms. Just bees and cats.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just ordered a cellular game trail camera.  It will be connected to my T-mobile iPhone.  Moultrie has a turn-key camera and cellular service.  Ordered the lithium battery version instead of the solar powered one because with the battery I can move it around, strap it to tree trunks or fence posts, and keep it better hidden - on a post in the open is too obvious.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQDFKBDS/?coliid=IZ8FMFYILJ3T8&colid=26FGO2OFAJU8J&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2024, 07:54:29 pm »
I don't know if they are in or if I have the energy today to go back near dark to find out.  Pulled a radiator out of a kabota today and I am beat.  I posted though because of the double entrance stuff earlier in this thread.  Clearly in the picture this trap has a double entrance and some have lots of holes due to using scrap and leaving out for years at a time.  They may be in as something is dragging out the mouse nest that must have been in there.  No matter the case, as I have mentioned many time in this thread.  If I see bees at my traps, I am extremely hopeful cause they could care less about my traps except when looking for a home (almost always). 

I know you can only see a few bees in the picture but I don't take picture taking too seriously as to do better, it is harder.  Quite a few around, just not in the picture.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2024, 02:03:41 am »
Good luck gww!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2024, 05:08:00 pm »
And my swarm trap is hot today. They started about 0800, took a break from 1315 to 1515 and came back. It's not as active as it was the last time. I hope they're not just teasing me again.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2024, 08:42:14 pm »
Good luck.  Maybe a bee keeper is finding his hive swarmed and hiving them before they move.  Sill bees looking is a great sign and I would not bet against them making the move.  Mine turned out a little bigger then was in my mind but not the biggest I have caught but about normal.  Again, good luck.  It is exciting and they are not just looking for no reason.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2024, 10:56:22 pm »
Thanks, I feel like they're just taunting me.  :cheesy:

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #138 on: Today at 04:06:50 pm »
I feel like they're just taunting me.
They are your own bees or a neighbors that you see checking out the trap weekly.  You need to move the trap some distance away from your hive to increase the chances of catching a swarm.   When a colony swarms it will cluster on a fence, branch, etc.  Then scouts will look for a new location, when the swarm decides on a new location its typically a few minutes to a few hours.  Rarely do they stick around for more than a day or two.  The bees checking out your trap are not scouts or the swarm would have moved in the same day.  It's very unlikely that so many swarms are looking at your trap in your area.  There or only so many colonies near you, maybe a few unless you live near a beekeeper who keeps a lot of hives. 
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.