Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member in VA  (Read 3464 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
New member in VA
« on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:32 am »
Greetings from VA! Started into bees this year after many years without them. I grew up beekeeping with my parents colonies when I was younger. Now I am teaching my 3 boys, who are loving it! We had a nice swarm in our back field a couple weeks ago, so I hived them and we're off and winging. I'm a bit rusty after being out for so many years and I'm looking forward to learning from the more experienced crowd. Seems like a nice forum with good people in here, happy to be a part of it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:13:13 pm by AustinB »
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: New member in VA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 11:39:24 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Nice pic.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:50:37 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I love that you are getting your boys involved.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 08:29:55 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I love that you are getting your boys involved.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks Jim! Keeping bees with my parents starting at a young age really gave me a love for it. I want to teach my boys the same, and so far its really taking. They are all about bees now!

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:00:55 am »
That's so great, Austin!  The look on the little one's face is priceless!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 04:22:45 pm »
That's so great, Austin!  The look on the little one's face is priceless!  :cheesy:
Thanks! Yeah he's my big cheeser  :cheesy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 07:47:26 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. That is a very nice swarm!  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:39:47 am »
Austin. I know what you mean about catching the bee bug. I wonder if a brand new beek catches a worst case, or a former beek who has been out for a long time.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 11:09:32 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. That is a very nice swarm!  :cool:
It was one of the nicer ones I have seen. On a cedar tree 2? off the ground in my back field. It was almost too good to be true! Ha!

Austin. I know what you mean about catching the bee bug. I wonder if a brand new beek catches a worst case, or a former beek who has been out for a long time.
I think I have a touch of both  :cheesy:

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 02:22:29 pm »
Aloha from Hawaii, Austin (and family!)

My wife and two daughters (8 & 11) have really taken to bees since I began and regularly help me with inspections.  It's great to see more kids getting involved.

Cheers, Matthew

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 08:07:48 am »
Aloha from Hawaii, Austin (and family!)

My wife and two daughters (8 & 11) have really taken to bees since I began and regularly help me with inspections.  It's great to see more kids getting involved.

Cheers, Matthew
Hi Matthew! Now that's cool. I can now say "I know a guy" that keeps bees in Hawaii!  :cool:
I'm one of those old school guys who believes very strongly in passing on important skills and knowledge to my children for the next generation. Thats awesome that you have gotten your daughters into it as well.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 12:33:21 pm »
Wellcome great that you are here, its a great place to bee  :happy:
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 11:04:15 am »
Wellcome great that you are here, its a great place to bee  :happy:
Thanks Brian! Agreed

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 11:21:34 am »
Austin, I want to welcome you here as well. Sorry it took me so long. I actually thought I already done so until I read this heading. You have a nice family. How long has it been since you last kept bees? Glad to have you here!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 01:17:13 pm »
Austin, I want to welcome you here as well. Sorry it took me so long. I actually thought I already done so until I read this heading. You have a nice family. How long has it been since you last kept bees? Glad to have you here!!
Thanks Ben its good to be here! Very kind of you, my family is my life! We homeschool all 3 (4th is still too young) I spend a lot of time with my kids, hiking, fishing, hunting, and learning things together, not the least of which are now bees! Its been many years since I have been beekeeping, probably almost 20 years now. I have been wanting to get back into it and kept putting it off. When that beautiful swarm showed up in our field on a little cedar tree 1' off the ground, I decided it was time haha! I now have 3 occupied hives, and I'll be doing a trapout or cutout here soon on my neighbors chimney. Trying to get them all built up strong so that we can overwinter successfully in this crapshoot VA weather. Next year I'm hoping to harvest a decent crop of honey.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 03:44:13 pm »
Thanks Ben its good to be here! Very kind of you, my family is my life! We homeschool all 3 (4th is still too young) I spend a lot of time with my kids, hiking, fishing, hunting, and learning things together, not the least of which are now bees! Its been many years since I have been beekeeping, probably almost 20 years now. I have been wanting to get back into it and kept putting it off. When that beautiful swarm showed up in our field on a little cedar tree 1' off the ground, I decided it was time haha! I now have 3 occupied hives, and I'll be doing a trapout or cutout here soon on my neighbors chimney. Trying to get them all built up strong so that we can overwinter successfully in this crapshoot VA weather. Next year I'm hoping to harvest a decent crop of honey.
Oh homeschooling is just the best.  We are a homeschool family as well; I'm the only kid who ever went to public school and only through 2nd grade.  I've graduated from homeschool student to homeschool teacher now.  :happy:  It's amazing how learning just becomes a part of life when you homeschool.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 06:23:45 am »

Oh homeschooling is just the best.  We are a homeschool family as well; I'm the only kid who ever went to public school and only through 2nd grade.  I've graduated from homeschool student to homeschool teacher now.  :happy:  It's amazing how learning just becomes a part of life when you homeschool.   
[/quote]

That's great! Myself my 3 brothers and my baby sister were all homeschooled, so its very normal to me. I agree, learning never stops in a homeschool family, its a passion.

anything