Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building solar wax melter out of foam box  (Read 2461 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Building solar wax melter out of foam box
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:39 am »
I've recently acquired a large foam box:

https://imgur.com/a/0eovTJ5

I'm interested in making a solar wax melter out of it. I have over 100 kilos of wax from crush and straining, that I want to turn into a beeswax block.

What would be the best kind of glass to put on top? I have that piece of foam board that I can slide in to create a barrier. I figure I can cut a hole into it, and put a paper towel there to act as a filter. I'm not sure how well sealed it'll be around the sides of the foam board that I'd insert, but I suppose I could seal it up with duct tape.

Do any of you guys have any tips as to how to go about turning a foam box into a solar wax melter?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
Re: Building solar wax melter out of foam box
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:34:27 am »
Yes, very, easy ditch it and build one out of wood.
Styroform isn't made for high temperatures and a solawaxmelter reaches up to 200?C, where the box will allready melt.

If you allready habe was srapings, go the easy way. Get a nice gas stove and a 10 gallon pot. Add 1 gallon water and fill with the wax scrapings. Turn in the heat and add wax untin you have only 2" until the rim. Then usw a strainer to take out all the cocoons and let the wax cool. Pressure wash the dirt of the bottom, remelt/rewasch 2 times Aland you get besteht wax for storage.

A better way is instead of straining out the cocoons, to build a plate out of hole Metall, that exactly fits your pot and push it down to the bottom of the pot. This way all cocoons are in the ground and lose more wax, since lot of the wax will float up.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:24 am »
I recommend that you use a 1/4 thick piece of glass, preferably tempered glass that is a little larger than your box. I have seen solar wax melters, on BeeMaster, that were made from styrofoam. I found a tempered glass plate that was being thrown out that perfectly fit my solar wax melter. Check with your local glass repair shop for a piece they are going to throw away. I made a 2x4 frame to hold the glass. It protects it and allows me to add an insulation strip to make it seal better. You could add a wood box around the styrofoam box to help it last longer and if you put the top in a frame you can add a hinge. 
Jim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:19:12 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
I did get the idea to use styroform wax melters by reading forum posts by other beekeepers.

Jim, what do you mean by "put the top in a frame you can add a frame"?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:24:43 pm »
I did get the idea to use styroform wax melters by reading forum posts by other beekeepers.

Build the lid like a teleskoping cover. 4 Sides of wood, with a notch about 1" recessed from the top.
For the plate just make sure it's not the glas with extra sun protection.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 06:21:51 pm »

The last word was supposed to be hinge.
Sorry, that happens when I answer questions before I get out of bed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything