Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How not to beekeep.  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
How not to beekeep.
« on: May 22, 2022, 07:31:39 pm »
I had a migratory top that was bending some, and with the rain coming, I decided to quickly flip it upside down and anchor with a brick.
1. It was evening, so the hive was full of bees with nothing to do. That was not the problem.
2. I was grilling supper, in a hurry, and rushed.  That was not the problem.
3. I decided to not use a smoker, since it was just a quick adjustment. That was not the problem.
4. When I flipped the board, bees were on the other side. Instead shaking them off in front of the hive, I quickly brushed them off, thereby rolling some of them and killing them. That was not the problem.
5. I was wearing shorts. And those bees found the back of my leg and wore me out. That WAS the problem.
I was yelling and jumping and running... and yes, I burnt the steak on the grill.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: How not to beekeep.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 08:02:46 pm »
NOT THE STEAK!!  WHY!!!  :cry:            :wink:  :cheesy:

I have yet to do the beekeeper run myself.  It's like riding a horse, I know some time I'm going to fall off, it's only a matter of time.  :oops:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 09:21:31 pm »
I had to look twice to see if this was in the humor section!  :shocked: :cheesy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 08:28:07 am »
3. I decided to not use a smoker, since it was just a quick adjustment. That was not the problem.
One might argue that.  Along with being in a hurry.  You have to leave the multitasking to women.  Especially if you are going to rile up a bunch of females.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 08:35:14 am »
I wish I could remember what I have learned through hindsight at the moment needed. You could have just flipped the lid, set the brick and they would have found their way in, but we would have been deprived of some humor.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:19 pm »
LoL !
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 08:33:33 pm »
Bee keeping is a life of miscalculations.
You preplan what needs to be done, especially when the bees can be up to 200 mile away, and when you get there it is a different story.
We have dragged a trailer load of supers 130 miles to turn around and bring them all home. This was one event that got us into scales for our hives that send data to my phone.
We tend to take alot of things that we don't use but just in case.
Or you have an thought about what should be happening in a hive, and when you open it the bees are not on the same thought line. Re assess and off we go.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 11:48:26 pm »
   I know where I live you cannot find steak for under  $100 a piece..

BEE HAPPY   Jim134.  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
How not to beekeep.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 11:52:15 pm »
I had a good one yesterday. 
On a casual evening drive around the outback checking for forage sprouts to plan out hive moves next week.  Stopped in a few beeyards along the way. I was walking around peeking under lids to gauge strengths and readiness to move. This was in the early evening and modest rain cloud was approaching. No veil no smoke black toque. I opened a bunch of hives and most all of the bees just looked up at me and politely told me to close the skylight.  Except for one bee in one hive.  She came screaming out at lightning speed yelling -how dare you- and cold clocked me, hard.  I had no time no split second to react, it happened so fast.  She nearly knocked me flat on my backside from the impact when she wacked me so hard.  Where?  On the thinnest part of the upper eyelid. I swear she stapled the eyelid to my eyeball.  With one eye shut I stumbled and weaved back towards the truck, vision blurred, one hand out feeling so I didnt run into anything or knock other hives over.  Finally got to a side mirror on the truck and using the open eye was able to find the stinger and scratch it out of the lid.  Cautiously walked back to the hive and slid the lid back on.  Am sure I heard the lot of them in there laughing their fuzzy butts off.
This morning I awoke to one eye firmly shut.  Went about my day with every person I encountered speaking to me slowly and reassuring concern.   It was awesome!
As I sit here telling the story 24 hours later.  The eye is 90 percent back to normal, but my pride is still humbled and not yet healed.

This, this, THIS is why we beekeepers wear side-wrap sunglasses.  Last night I had left them on the dash of the truck.  Stupid me, woe is me. LoL!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:45:24 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 12:07:30 am »
I had a good one yesterday. 
On a casual evening drive around the outback checking for forage sprouts to plan out hive moves next week.  Stopped in a few beeyards along the way. I was walking around peeking under lids to gauge strengths and readiness to move. This was in the early evening and modest rain cloud was approaching. No veil no smoke black toque. Most all of the bees just looked up at me and politely told me to close the skylight.  Except for one.  She came screaming out at lightning speed yelling -how dare you- and cold clocked me, hard.  I had no time no split second to react, it happened so fast.  She nearly knocked me flat on my backside she wacked me so hard.  Where?  On the thinnest part of the upper eyelid. I swear she stapled the eyelid to my eyeball.  I stumbled and weaved back towards the truck, vision blurred, one hand out feeling so I didnt run into anything or knock other hives over.  Finally got to a side mirror on the truck and using the open eye was able to find the stinger and scratch it out of the lid.  Cautiously walked back to the hive and slid the lid back on.  Am sure I heard the lot of them in there laughing their fuzzy butts off.
This morning I awoke to one eye firmly shut.  Went about my day with every person I encountered speaking to me slowly and reassuring concern.   It was awesome!
As I sit here telling the story 24 hours later.  The eye is 90 percent back to normal, but my pride is still humbled and not yet healed.

:shocked: :grin: :cheesy:  Good one HoneyPump! (for the bees) lol:  Not the beekeeper!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 12:08:29 am »
Where?  On the thinnest part of the upper eyelid. I swear she stapled the eyelid to my eyeball.

I know that had to hurt!

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:41:20 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 07:59:33 am »
Stapled your eyelid shut. Lol.
That's even funnier than my burnt steak.
And tragic. I commiserate and laugh at the same time.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 11:13:33 am »
I wish you could see my face right now, HP!  It's a strange mixture of horror and amusement.  I don't even know what emoji I should choose.  Something like this perhaps. . . .  :oops: :cheesy: :shocked: :cry: :cool:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 11:38:47 am »
You may have teary eyes from sympathetic pain or from laughing hysterically.   Both are appropriate!. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 11:47:47 am »
At least you did not take the sting to the eyeball itself, as in your personal experience described a couple years ago here. (The kaleidoscope effect). Mmmmm

Phillip
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 12:09:06 pm by Ben Framed »

anything