BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

First beetle slimed box

(1/3) > >>

Bob Wilson:
Well.
It's official. I have had my first colony die due to pest. For the first time in 4 years, I made a nuc split, but didn't move the nuc to a new location. The forage bees returned to the main hive, and the nuc was too weak to guard the box. Small hive beetles laid eggs and the beetle larva slimed the box. At least the other five nucs are doing well.
Lesson learned.

Ben Framed:
Sorry to hear that Bob. Watch the others closely. The larva will burrow into the ground developing into more SHB and will come back with a vengeance! Especially since they have this early start. Prepare now is my advise.

cao:
Sorry about the nuc.  I usually try to shake some nurse bees from a couple extra frames into my nucs that I make up to help with the loss of foragers.

Acebird:
Yeah, beetles tend to get worse.  I got a beetle problem up north where you are not suppose to have beetle problems.

Lesgold:
Beetles love it when bees do not cover all frames. The little blighters have a Christmas party on honey/ pollen frames when this situation occurs. Good luck Bob with the upcoming season.

Cheers

Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version