ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Baby Goats on the Way!

<< < (10/14) > >>

Kathyp:
Will your sister have to notify those who bought this line for breeding?  That really could throw a wrench in profits.  Are these any good for meat at least for you guys?

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Kathyp on March 22, 2023, 09:38:51 pm ---Will your sister have to notify those who bought this line for breeding?  That really could throw a wrench in profits.

--- End quote ---
She did, and offered them a discount, which they took.  It's the kind of thing that it may never show up again, but you just don't know.  The buyers are new goat owners, so they were okay with the risk. 

--- Quote from: Kathyp on March 22, 2023, 09:38:51 pm ---Are these any good for meat at least for you guys?

--- End quote ---
Absolutely, the kinders are a dual purpose breed, but we already have two wethers earmarked for the freezer, and just didn't really need a third.  On top of that, my sister just loves the way he looks and his disposition, which is why she was really hoping he could be a breeding buck.  And since she can't pair Bella and Phantom again, she may never have another baby who is this gorgeous.  His coloration is pretty rare, and after her initial expectations for him, she wasn't keen on making him a freezer wether, especially when we don't really need one.  She could of course have sold him as a wether, but she doesn't have any buyers needing any at the moment, and like I said, it can be handy to have a wether around.  And as much as she doesn't want to just keep him because she likes him, she really, really likes him.  :smile:     

The15thMember:
Murphy had her babies overnight last night and we missed it!  Thankfully my sister put her in the kidding stall last night, just because the other goats were beating up on her a little bit, and when Mom went into the barn this morning, the babies were out and dry!  She came running in the house shouting, "Murphy had her babies!!"  :grin:  They hadn't nursed yet, since Murphy didn't really know they needed to, being a first time mom, and babies often need help getting latched the first time, but my sister and I got them drinking quickly, and they are no worse for the wear.  The brown baby is a boy, and the grey one is a girl, and they are our first babies with wattles!  We were hoping they'd have them, since their father, Arthur, has wattles.  My sister named them Duncan and Tessa after the characters from the Highlander TV show, which we are watching right now.  My sister has been thinking about replacing one of her original bucks, so she is going to keep Duncan, and Tessa will be for sale. 

BeeMaster2:
Congratulations Reagan. Very cute.
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:
Moonie went on his first car ride today.  We had to run to the post office and one of the local farm stores, so we brought him along.  He did so well, he wasn't stressed at all in the car.  My sister had him on her lap, since he's still little and he feels comfortable on laps.  At the post office, our postwoman came outside to see him, and she said he was the most handsome thing she'd seen all day, and she'd seen her husband that morning!  :cheesy:  Mr. Moon let her pet him and acted just like he would have if we were at the barn.  He did very well at the farm store too, although the dog who lives there did scare him a little bit, even though Cash is very friendly and polite.         

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version