Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For those that have followed my keeping ....  (Read 3019 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
For those that have followed my keeping ....
« on: May 24, 2019, 01:04:34 pm »
I am paying $50 to the sellers of my nucs for them to come inspect my hives .
Those that have followed my path, help me with questions or directions to ask my mentors to help me with.
I want to ask the right questions and gather education worth my $50
Thanks
They come tomorrow
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: For those that have followed my keeping ....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 03:14:40 pm »
Can I get in on that deal. 🤣
Next time just call your bee Inspecter.  We have some very good ones here in Florida.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:37:04 pm »
Salty some questions to ponder.  The questions I get ask the most.

How to find the queen is number one?  there are lil tricks to this.
Spotting eggs, is number 2 question I am ask.
beetles in your area?
Varroa?
Swarm prevention?
Percent population, that is, 40 to 80 percent?  How to determine?
How to properly lite a smoker and keep it going?  A smoker should stay lite for hours, unattended, mine does.

Salty, you may already know these answers so forgive me if the questions appear elementary.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 12:02:25 pm »
Not at all van
It?s the dumb/easy questions that are the most overlooked.
That?s why I ask (dumb) questions so I can get the most responses - aim low shoot high - you?ll see others add their 2 cents and before you know it , you?ve got a whole dollar-
See? The smoker was the first thing I overlooked!!
Thanks- I?ll send you the change!
It?s up to me

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 02:25:53 pm »
Not at all van
That?s why I ask (dumb) questions so I can get the most responses - aim low shoot high - you?ll see others add their 2 cents and before you know it , you?ve got a whole dollar-
I?ll add my 2 cents towards your dollar.  :happy:  In addition to everything Van mentioned of course, I?d ask about local timing stuff. When is your swarm season?  When?s the best time to take honey?  How much honey should you leave the bees?  When is the best time to treat for mites and are any treatments ineffective in your area? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 05:33:26 pm »
I texted her and canceled- I will request our bee inspector as recommended by Jim. I?m very money strapped now.
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 07:05:09 pm »
Jim, just saved you some bucks.  He is a smart fella.

Ok, a little fun here.  Find the queen, train your eyes.  Pic below:

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 09:31:08 pm »
Is that her at top of brood pattern. Couples inches to left off center.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 10:26:42 pm »
That is her.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 01:45:54 am »
Salty, I found this free online class helpful:

http://leeming-consulting.com/SchoolNet/courses/beekeeping1.0/about_this_guide.html

I admire their clear language, organized presentation, simple tips to help, and gentle humor.

Of course, we don't have the problem with cane toads eating bees, like they do in Solomon Islands. (see photo) But most is the same.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 03:52:02 pm »
Jim, just saved you some bucks.  He is a smart fella.

Ok, a little fun here.  Find the queen, train your eyes.  Pic below:

I?ve stalled searching as I wanna tell you how I went about it-
I started with honey pump song - one of theses things are not like the other.
Then my eyes were too busy so I dissected the gram and see honey in the upper corners / brood making a crescent shape towards bottom where I would expect to see her laying up to 2k eggs a day???!!!! That blows my mind.  I?ve never seen one of my queens but my high school dropout brain cannot fathom the averages she would be on a certain frame.
I?m brain damaged.
But it gets me closer as an inspector Clouseau merit badge . Does you?re dog bite?
So I see a different thorax un-striped abdominal marking on a gal at 9pm. But that part of the frame should be receiving honey and nectar so I am now looking at six pm but 3 inches up.
I hope you see how my thought process works.

Navy Servant .
Happy Memorial Day.
Sorry so long
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:14:48 pm by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »
I?ve stalled searching as I wanna tell you how I went about it-
I started with honey pump song - one of theses things are not like the other.
Then my eyes were too busy so I dissected the gram and see honey in the upper corners / brood making a crescent shape towards bottom where I would expect to see her laying up to 2k eggs a day???!!!! That blows my mind.  I?ve never seen one of my queens but my high school dropout brain cannot fathom the averages she would be on a certain frame.
I?m brain damaged.
But it gets me closer as an inspector Clouseau merit badge . Does you?re dog bite?
So I see a different thorax un-striped abdominal marking on a gal at 9pm. But that part of the frame should be receiving honey and nectar so I am now looking at six pm but 3 inches up.
I hope you see how my thought process works.

I?m diagnosed borderline personality but mine is nurture with 5 step dads -1 deceased at-my-birth dadd, a wayward mom  high school dropout - failed Navy Service, seeking a sanity I can live with.
Happy Memorial Day.
Salty, just try to keep it simple.  You seem to be thinking a lot about where the queen should be as opposed to where she is.  Remember that when you inspect a hive, you disrupt the bees in their work, and the queen oftentimes will not be where she normally would be if the hive wasn't currently being inspected.  The queen can be ushered away from the area where you are working, and she may move around on the frame to try to avoid detection.  I've found queens on frames that were 100% honey.  Just remember that finding the queen takes practice, and you'll get a lot better at finding her once you've found her once or twice.  Then you'll know what your queen looks like, and your eye will start to automatically distinguish her by not only her size and shape, but the difference in her movement and the movement of the bees in her entourage.  Something I did to help myself practice was to look at pictures online like the one Van posted, although a frame in your hands is a little different since all the bees are moving.  If you are on Instagram, try following the hashtag #queenspotting for more practice pictures of frames.                 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 10:11:25 pm »
Salty,
There is a book out called ?Queen Spotting by Hilary Kearney. She has 48 frames with queens on them for you to practice on. Over all a very good book. You do have to take what she say about a few items with a grain of salt. But still a good book.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 01:01:47 am »
Not at all van

Salty, I have not seen a dumb question form you. An uninformed question yes, dumb no. Asking question here is how you learn. As Alan says, (CoolBees) these folks are great!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 01:22:26 am »
''I?ll add my 2 cents towards your dollar.  :happy:  In addition to everything Van mentioned of course, I?d ask about local timing stuff. When is your swarm season?  When?s the best time to take honey?  How much honey should you leave the bees?  When is the best time to treat for mites and are any treatments ineffective in your area? ''

Good advise Member!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
For those that have followed my keeping ....
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 01:28:58 pm »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:32:30 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 06:26:30 pm »
If I guess, I?d say take honey August. My hives are 2 months old.
So Will try not and rob here-

I have frozen 5 frames of my dead hives - can I place them in my top super, and what order if I find drawn comb the new super have produced? Outside in or in and out or mix and match?
Drawn cob/ drawn foundation one after another?
It?s up to me