ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Manure for the Garden

<< < (2/8) > >>

jalentour:
I used "aged" black horse manure last year. 
There were a lot of seeds still active and my garden was tougher than usual to maintain.  I'd try something else next time. 
There are several manure threads on this site, lots of gardeners.
Good luck.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on December 01, 2018, 02:16:41 pm ---Chicken manure is alkaline. In my case, it brings the soil closer to neutral.
Jim

--- End quote ---
Probably why it didn't burn if it was raw.
Horse manure will have a lot of active seeds unless it is composted hot enough to sterilize the seeds.  I would say cow manure is best because a cow is a vegetarian naturally but man screws that up.  I use nothing but chicken manure because I had it.  I was told when I was a young lad that chicken manure is best for vegetable that grow above, lettuce, cabbage, beans, tomatoes, cukes, squash and such.  Not so good for carrots, turnips, onions, garlic, potatoes, but I grew a lot of onions, garlic and potatoes and felt it did well.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: jvalentour on December 01, 2018, 03:24:35 pm ---I used "aged" black horse manure last year. 
There were a lot of seeds still active and my garden was tougher than usual to maintain.

--- End quote ---

You are probably going to have this problem for years to come.  I don't know how big your garden is but if you let the weeds come up and just scrap the surface to kill them a couple of times before planting it should help out.  You can also use a torch and sterilize the surface before you plant.

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: bwallace23350 on December 01, 2018, 03:01:33 pm ---I have not composted any of the manure but it will not be planted on till April. Hmm I need to get another soil test done but last time I did it was 7.1

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: bwallace23350 on December 01, 2018, 03:01:33 pm ---I have not composted any of the manure but it will not be planted on till April. Hmm I need to get another soil test done but last time I did it was 7.1

--- End quote ---
At 7.1 PH, cow manure will work well.
Jim

bwallace23350:
That was 8-9 years ago though that I have had a ph of 7.1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version