Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Cell Damaged  (Read 3359 times)

Offline 1968 Fastback GT

• New Bee
Queen Cell Damaged
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:36:06 pm »
Got 2 nucs about 3 weeks ago.  Looked into the hive the first time today.
Weaker hive had a Queen Cell on bottom of a frame.  It was damaged by my inexperence  I  remove it (saw the white jelley coming out of the cell.  Seen no sign of a Queen.
What should I do? Does the hive have time to build a new Queen cell if it is Queenless???  The second hive is stronger and I did not see a Queen but did see larvae.  Was alot nervous used a smoker no veil, no gloves and never got stung once.  Tried to handle bees gently (not counting damaging the queen cell). Rookie Keeper

Gary
North Carolina, Gaston County

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Queen Cell Damaged
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 10:11:29 pm »
Sometimes they build a queen cell because they didn't like the disruption of moving and they blame it on the queen.  Sometimes it's because the old queen is dead.  Usually they build more than one.  It's LIKELY there is another queen cell somewhere, but if there isn't and if there isn't a queen, then they may be hopelessly queenless now because the larvae may be all too old to make a queen.  A frame of eggs and brood, if you can get one, could save them and you don't have to find a queen or a queen cell because it just gives them the resources if they need them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything