Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My new Carboy lift  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
My new Carboy lift
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »
6 gal carboys are too heavy for me to lift so I made this winch and sling from a $22 boat winch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wF6B5W9d8PpqSHDS2
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: My new Carboy lift
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:39:40 pm »
If your married, you?ve got a more understanding wife than I. 

Not knocking it, just suggesting a different winch. They make the same thing, but it has a worm gear that when you let go of the handle, it stays put. And when cranking back down, there?s no load on the handle.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:43 pm »
My wife is tickled pink over my inventions.  She married older and she loves the way I improvise.
I am not sure what your wife would complain about.  It doesn't make a mess and it knocks down in 20 seconds leaving no reminisce of ever being used.  Most women like wine.  Most men like the effect is has on women. :shocked:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:39:44 pm »
In vinum veritas (In wine [there is] truth).

Great idea.  Working in Psparr's concern, maybe a person could do something like this with a clamp (I think they are called pressure tongs) that can be taken down and does not do any damage to the door frame.  Know what I am talking about?  you just set the clam on there and the weight tightens the clamp and holds it in place.
We all do better when we all do better.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:58:03 pm »
Brian,
Here is one of the lifts that I have built to help my wife and I handle my son. It swings from over top of the wheelchair to the toilet or to the shower chair. It can also be used to pick him up off of the floor. I have another variation that we used to put him in his bed. The first unit had the motor in a closet above and behind the lift.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:12:39 pm »
The motor is from Harbor Freight and the aluminum is from Lowe's. The hindges are stainless steel. If anyone needs a lift, feel free to copy it. This one is way overbuilt and could easily handle 1000 pounds. I had the wall reinforced during construction. Just to make sure it was stronger than the lift. My son only weighs about 150.
The first lift, with the closet design, a much lighter unit, was test at 500 pounds with no sign of stress. The motor in the picture is rated for 1100 pounds.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 09:03:07 pm »
that can be taken down and does not do any damage to the door frame.

It is hard to understand this one.  It does no damage to the door frame.  Do you think I could get away with that?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »
Brian,
Here is one of the lifts that I have built to help my wife and I handle my son.

This brings tears to my eyes Jim.  I understand your creativeness to solve a problem, I really do but if the need is there then why oh why can you not get a hoyer lift through your insurance company?  What about the other people in your situation that don't have your talent?  God bless you Jim.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »
darn thats a great looking Winch setup Jim, built to last. That man deserves a Beer!

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 06:32:56 pm »
Brian,
Here is one of the lifts that I have built to help my wife and I handle my son.

This brings tears to my eyes Jim.  I understand your creativeness to solve a problem, I really do but if the need is there then why oh why can you not get a hoyer lift through your insurance company?  What about the other people in your situation that don't have your talent?  God bless you Jim.
Brian,
A Hoyer lift does not work in a bathroom unless you are a contortionist.
This lift is easy to use and easy to build.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 06:34:04 pm »

darn thats a great looking Winch setup Jim, built to last. That man deserves a Beer!

Cheers
Steve
:smile:
Ben Franklin

anything