Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SVT-40 I found one and it's on the way!!  (Read 13726 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
SVT-40 I found one and it's on the way!!
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:19:46 pm »
Yes, before Russian had the AK47, and before it had the SKS, it had a full/semi-auto that shot the bigger more powerful round 7.62X54r - the famous and likely the most produced cartridge ever for the Mosin Nagant series of Rifles.

The rifle I'm talking about (if you read the title) is the SVT-40 (T-for Tokerev) Who like the SKS suffered poor timing. The SVT-40 a 10 round removable magazine automatic rifle came into production with about 1.6 million made in full auto. The soldiers couldn't handle the massive recoil of the 7.62X54R is a full auto, they lacked control and suffered injuries to their shoulders and backs.

Actually listening to the soldiers for once, Tula plant in 1941 changed their design to a semi-auto and roughly 96 thousand were produced WHEN in 1941 the war between Russia and German exploded after peace accords we broken by Germany.

Both Tula and Isvesk (sic) arsenals we much better tooled for the Mosin Nagant and returned to full Mosin 91/30 and M39 (carbine) production - leave the SVT-40 an active gun in the war with about 2 million available (although many we not assembled until re-arsenaled after the war) so pre-war and throughout, the Mosin Nagant had a number exceeding 20 million made.

In the latter days of the war the M44 (carbine with attached bayonet) came into use, although few were made in 1944, most in 1845 and 1946 THEN as history often repeats itself, the SKS which was roughly a 1950 10 round attached semi-auto lived a relatively short life (well in Russian at least - the Japanese, then later most all of Asia had SKS rifles and many still used in wars around the Globe that don't make the news. So what happened? If you didn't guess the AK47 did, and although in second lines of Russian military parades you will still see SKS rifles, the AK is still the pride of Russia and still a highly saught after gun, even if converted over to semi-auto for US consumption.

OKAY KATHY YOU CAN START READING NOW - I'M NEAR THE END

I had followed 9 SVT-40s on Gunbroker over a month - some in near museum shape to some dragged through briars. Many of the auctions a year ago would have went off as low as $400 and maybe as high as $700. But the US Embargo on Russian Weapons has driven the prices sky high. 2 rifles I saw go over $3000, 4 others over $2000 and the rest just under $2000.

I waited for one that was very nice, and yet had very few followers. I laid back and it was only $1120 with an hour to go, 29 bids between 3 bidders and 2 of them had not bid in 2 days. I correctly believed only on person was still in the game - so I tosses a MAX BID of $1300 out there. By Gunbroker rules I only need to out bid the other bidder by $25 I believe (the spread gets further as the bids get higher) with minutes to go I checked and the other bidder bid 6 times, not beating my minimum bid of $1225.00 and he folded.

So, relatively speaking, I got a gun as nice as the $3000 ones at only 2.5 times more than I could have gotten it for a year ago - lol. All tears aside, I'm happy tohave gotten this, and talked with the seller many times. I should have it by Wednesday.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: SVT-40 I found one and it's on the way!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:11 am »
Nicely done!  That looks like it will be a lot of fun to play with!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:17 am »
Congrats.
Are you going to shoot it or display it?
My 7.62 blows holes in my metal targets.  If you do shoot, find something fun to target.
I had the same experience with a Bruno 22 mag a few years ago, ended up buying two, one to hunt with and one as an investment.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:51:17 am »
The cool part of this, is that I'll now have 4 WW2 era rifles, Mosin 91/30, Mosin M44, Russian SKS and SVT-40.

Some will say WHERE'S YOUR AKA-47, Mr. Russian Riffle Man? And so far (living within the NJ Rifle Rules) the 47 doesn't always meet our laws, even those tailored down to meet our laws don't interest me too much. I think it is my dislike for the AR15 variants I've seen and shot. More so the ammo I think.

Yes, the 7.62X39 AK cartridge (which is a stretch of the truth - the SKS had it first) is fun in my SKS - which without a doubt my most accurate rifle. I like how it stays stripper clip feed - I like to think of that in the heat of the battle, just as the Mosins. Not to forget it also is FIXED magazine as with the Mosins.

The SVT-40 though (to me) has the uniqueness of being the first detachable magazine and has an adjustable gas fed system and has a lot of similarities (at least breakdown wise) of the SKS. So in many ways the SVT-40 is in that category of rifles I like and less like the lighter m-4, m-16, ar-15, etc..

I love to say, I love the powerful recoil of these weapons, the thunder and lighting from every shot, the dirty looks I get from the AR folks - heehee and the amazing fact that they are 50-80 years old and in GREAT condition and operate flawlessly WITH ammo that costs about $0.17c a round - I last paid $78 for 440 rounds of Mosin Ammo - I bought three spam cans of it. Sure it is corrosive surplus, but cleaning your guns is part of owning your guns. Another issue is it keeps my TYPES of ammo down to two for rifle and two for handgun. I know, that means the AK would work out well and NO I have not discounted it. For now I need a real gun rack, sad truth - the night I was going to ask my coworker to build me a rack and a memorabilia case, he died at work just an hour before I was to relieve him. The rack has been on the back burner ever sinse.

But thanks, I am happy with the auction, I have no doubt it will be a blast to shoot, Only problem, I may need a bigger car to take them all to the range  :tongue: of course I am kicking myself in the pants for not getting one when I first was search Russian long arms. And no, I don't plan on stopping at Russian - I just wanted to start with more paycheck friendly rifles: start going to other AXIS Countries and it get pretty expensive quickly.

I'm saving ALLIED for last, I do have an Lee Enfield in the works with a coworker, he's just a tail dragger at getting the info on it so I can fairly price it - it was his fathers bring back: Why an American brings back a British rifle, I'm not sure (and I know many Enfields were made in the states too)- but I have his word it was British - we'll see. But as the Greatest Generation leaves us, their kids will be selling everything they have and I don't feel bad at giving a good home to those who fought wars across both sides of the globe to Victory.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:11:51 am »
Congrats.
Are you going to shoot it or display it?
My 7.62 blows holes in my metal targets.  If you do shoot, find something fun to target.
I had the same experience with a Bruno 22 mag a few years ago, ended up buying two, one to hunt with and one as an investment.

I'm might have cover this in the post I was typing when you posted. But I want guns to shoot them and while doing so, imagine carrying something this heavy for YEARS. I know the Mosins have gone up nearly a hundred bucks since I bought then and the SKS almost two hundred - again surely an embargo thing. so, I think of it as paying for the ammo!

I've mentioned before my left main shoulder muscle is completely severed and I am left handed. But every time I raise those guns up and fire it, I get a feeling like I'm on a roller coaster - that rush that I just don't get unless CRAP hits the fan at work when we are doing extremely important things and I have to rub both sides of my brain together and try to start a fire to fix the problem. Interestingly, I'll shoot about 200 rounds at the range I go to which is Fort Dix Army Range 14 (the same place my father shot in boot camp in 1950) and YES I do shoot at half inch steel at 200 years and blow holes through it like cheese. I even shot the Shepard's hook I use to hold the steel plates and the pole took enough of a hit with the weight of the target, it timbered over in two. Of course, never in a million years could I ever hit that on purpose (not sure how many people with iron sites could) but I had witnesses who all of a sudden was interested in an M44.

That's the other thing, people come to you and ask to see and/or shoot these guns - they've never seen one except in a war movie. I let them know of the recoil in case they've never shot a 30 cal. before, then let them have at it. They go home with a memory and just maybe search for one and add it to their collect - you never know.

So these are all shooting guns. I have badges, flags, metals and other memorabilia that is protected and doesn't get handled - that eventually will be display cased. But everything I have is all ready willed to someone who is a very good friend of mine's son WHO will easily see 100 years of age and hopefully appreciate what he has.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:26 am »
I love to say, I love the powerful recoil of these weapons, the thunder and lighting from every shot, the dirty looks I get from the AR folks - heehee and the amazing fact that they are 50-80 years old and in GREAT condition and operate flawlessly WITH ammo that costs about $0.17c a round

LOL!!!  that made me laugh this morning.. Thank you!

If you love those guns, you need to pick up a Garand. You can find 30/06 ammo anywhere.  A decent Garand, a SHOOTER not a collector can still be had for... 700 dollars?  You might have to spend a couple days cleaning the cosmoline off/out of it, but it will be well worth the effort.
   I will say, I have owned a few AR's SKS's and AK's/Saiga etc..   Not many of them were as accurate as the AR's...  all were enjoyable to play with.   I dont own an AR any more, had them, played with them, got rid of them. Same with the AK's, SKS, even a Dragunov that shot really nicely.
   With the impossibility of buying .22 rounds, I am in the process of buying a Mini 14 Target model with the laminated thumbhole stock..  I can reload the .223's if/when I cant buy them anymore.. I have all the components for about 1300 rounds. So that will become my toy instead of the .22    Sitting in front of the house, with drink in hand, and .22 beside the chair, waiting for the muskrats and snapping turtles to poke their heads up has become a thing of the past.. the mini 14 will hopefully bring those days back..  And as stated on the other thread...  those coyotes thinking they are being sneaky following the tracks are going to be in for a surprise.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
My latest and greatest rifle came today - what a beauty. I recorded my FFL dealer demoing the rifle, he was honored to just hold it and he offered to buy it at about a 50% profit, for his private collection.

I thought this was HD set when I uploaded the video, but here is my new rifle at Guns and Roses (kid you not) Gunshop.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:41:56 am by beemaster »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:08:45 pm »
My favorite high powered semi auto rifle:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ljungman-Model-AG-B-in-x-mm-Swedish/1834208.uts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag_m/42

Flat shooting.  Low enough recoil you can spot for yourself if you hit the target or were low or high.  The only thing I don't like is that it fires to projectiles.  A bullet and a case.  And as a reloader, that is a bit frustrating...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:43 am »
John,
I would love to see your new rifle but, your video says "removed by user".
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 10:42:36 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO7JT5ujDIw

Sorry Jim, for some reason it uploaded a lo-def version, so I removed it and upload this HD version this morning. I was only into day four of phenomena and the rifle came in. I think I know much more about this gun than Joe here (owner of Guns & Roses Gunshop- my FFL) but he wanted to give the tour of the gun so I let him at it :)

You'll likely see how weak and fatigued I am when I get into the video - as cool as the gun was and to stand BSing about it, I had to get back home.

Cool weapon, I hope that I'll be out to the range to test run it at a 100 yards to paper and see how it matches up with my SKS which is by far my most accurate gun. I don't think I'll enjoy any gun as much as the M44, I could shoot that every day, but I still haven't really sited it well yet. But over all fun, the M44 is going to be hard to beat.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:28:37 pm »
Nice play pretty, but have you fired it yet?

I have some guns that I just like to admire and some that I simply view as utilitarian pieces.  My Glock is in the second category.  An original Colt Ace (not a conversion, but a .22 made about 1937, without a floating chamber) is of the first type.  It's just too interesting to shoot.  I have other .22 pistols that are good for shooting.  A 1928 Thompson with a 50-round drum and two stick magazines was one I just liked to admire, but I sold it a couple of years ago to a collector.  Held it 30 years and never fired it.   My 9mm Ingram is fun to shoot when I just want to make a lot of noise.

So I'm not saying you have to run out and punch holes in something.  Sometimes, just having a fine instrument is purely satisfying.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 11:52:04 pm »
Nope, been dying here for 2 weeks with pnumonia after surger, and going to the range hasn't been a priority. I finally got back to work last night and tonight - not near80% myself yet, but I'm walking around rebuilding strength in my legs.

I go to Fort Dix Army Base Range 14 - a 200 yard fully cover and wifely space benches for 2 shooters per bench, it's very nice. Mt membership is still good 3 more weeks and I hope to get out there at least once before I renew: DOD employees get the range for $30 a year.

I have a camo case for my SKS and M44 and rifle socks for the Mosin 91/30 and SVT-40 and trust me, that's a trunk load in my car.

Either way, I'll set up the video on my phone to capture some shooting. BUT FIRST, I need to totally (we at least down beyond the gas piston system and especially look for any barrel obstructions. I've seen Youtube videos where people never thought to check and the outcome was very bad.

So, I love the gun, it is a beauty, now we wait to see how well and accurate it fires. It does have a very nice trigger - but none are overly stiff - I'd say the SKS comes in around a steady 10lbs. The others around 6 I believe.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 01:13:20 am »
Best of luck on your recovery.  I had major surgery two years ago and didn't even think about shooring for several months.  I'm 79 years old and wishing for better eyes to see the sights.  Cataract surgery soon will, hopefully, give me a few more years on the range.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
My Mom was more from your generation, she'd be 78 now and medical advances plus our very low income kept her quality of life low. She went 2 years blind and finally was able to get cataracts done a week apart. After the first one, she called me at work saying she had forgotten how beautiful and vibrant colors were. After the second one she only needed reading cheater glasses. It is an amazing procedure.

I was told by my glocoma doctor I have a cataract in my left eye - small and un-noticable by me, but it's there. My glaucoma is under control with drops, my eye pressures are good; I have had open angle glaucoma about 15 years diagnosed.

I use tri-focal glasses and it isn't always great for iron sites at 200 yards, but I can get a rasor sharp bead on my handguns and a fuzzy target is better than none. I can shoot with my G19 a 3 inch group of 15 shots at 10 yards and anout 5 inch group at 15 yards. Both I'm very pleased with.

Good luck with you cataracts and get shooting!

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »
Beemaster, Even with my poor eyesight, I routinely fire very tight groups.  The trick is to just shoot once and call it a group. :cool:

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 10:45:12 am »
Beemaster, Even with my poor eyesight, I routinely fire very tight groups.  The trick is to just shoot once and call it a group. :cool:

:cool:

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »
I'm saving ALLIED for last, I do have an Lee Enfield in the works with a coworker, he's just a tail dragger at getting the info on it so I can fairly price it - it was his fathers bring back: Why an American brings back a British rifle, I'm not sure (and I know many Enfields were made in the states too)- but I have his word it was British - we'll see. But as the Greatest Generation leaves us, their kids will be selling everything they have and I don't feel bad at giving a good home to those who fought wars across both sides of the globe to Victory.

I hope the moderators don't think this inappropriate but, are you still looking for a .303 Enfield?  as I have had a #4 MK1 gathering dust in my closet for nearly 20 years, despite the wife's 'suggestions' that I get rid of it. I have empty brass and reloading dies somewhere as well, if I can find them :wink:
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
Beemaster, how's that SVT-40 working out for you?   Hope you've been able to get to the range with it.

I've had my cataracts removed and will be getting glasses soon.   My right eye went from 20/400 (legally blind) to 20/60 with the lens installed, while the left went from about 20/100 to 20/20, but my near vision went south, so I'll still wear glasses.  Somehow, when my wife had cataract surgery, it "cured" her narrow-angle glaucoma.  That's not the same as your glaucoma, I understand, but that is pretty remarkable to me.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 11:05:47 pm »
Beemaster,
Who is your source for the SVT.  I'd like to pick one up.
JV

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »
Beemaster,
Who is your source for the SVT.  I'd like to pick one up.
JV

Forgive me for missing your question. I do all my buying from Gunbroker.com unless I see a good deal at Bud's Gunshop or Cheaper than dirt - sometimes they offer great deals on war surplus ammo where shipping is included.

Looking for an SVT-40 a few things to keep in mind are: does it have an "A" branded stock, these were like from 1941 when the rifle was still released with full auto capabilities. Full auto beat-up the Russians terribly, it was not only physically demanding to fire, but it lost a great deal of accuracy in full auto as well.

Having an "A" stock on your rifle, no matter how it goes through refurbishing and nearly all did, getting a plumb painted charge handle and electro penciled numbering, but the super beefy "A" stocks are really nice on the semi auto firing, reducing some of the recoil, but also said to be better balanced.

Stock crack and repairs are important to note - full disclosure from a seller is so important. Expect when shopping to find many SVTs to list minor cracking or splitting and repairs.

We are getting fleeced here in the states at the cost of these with embargo issues and availability - Canada prices are HALF or less than what we pay for the same rifle.

Lastly, and I have to say this in hindsight - if you find a matching bayonet, get it if you are serious about keeping it for historically accurate or recreative reasons. The Russians loved their bayonets and the SVT bayonet is a beautiful piece of equipment. When you can find them, bayonets range $200-$250 and should come with a metal sheath (I have seen imitations of these out there with real bayonets, so learn all you can) and the two may be Cosmolined together, which I wouldn't mind.

No.... I don't have the bayonet yet, ugh. But I have shot it finally, about 100 rounds through it and my Mosin M44 - it's fun using a bolt rifle with a 7.62x54r and then shoot the same cartridge 10 round semi-auto. Mind you, production of the SVT-40 was less than 3 years, halted by Germany's attack on Russia, it was just more prolific to stay tooled with the 91/30 breed and the SVTs mainly maid it to lower ranking officers. With less than 1.6 million made, an SVT-40 has a place in any war collection.