Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: % split of Honey for outyards  (Read 1711 times)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
% split of Honey for outyards
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:47 am »
There really are no large tracts of land adjacent to me in the Florida Keys so I have taken to placing hives in "host yards" here in the upper keys with the agreement of a % of the honey for the use of the space....the exact number has been kept sort of vague and hive placement has been on somewhat of a trial basis as in " if they bother you and you decide this isn't working I will remove them" and since these are all smaller colonies that are still building from small splits and this years swarms they probably wont produce a huge excess until the fall flow but I was wondering if there is any sort of a standard % thats acceptable or is it just typically a couple of jars with no concern for a specific % or anything?

I know all regions are different and for these small out yards it might not make sense to settle on a specific number just wondering how other folks handle this sort of setup.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: % split of Honey for outyards
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:33 am »
Usually it's a couple of jars.  You can adjust to how good the spot is.  A really good spot that consistently makes a lot of honey you might be more generous.  I have no set amount anywhere.  It's whatever I happen to feel it was worth.  Most of my places they are happy to have bees there...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:05 am »
Seems like it would make sense to give a couple of jars even if the hive does not produce anything.  You are using their land and if nothing else growing bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:41 pm »
I agree with Michael, A pint or a quart that will take care of their personal needs. If it is a really good location, do it every time you extract the hives at that location.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:54 pm »
There really are no large tracts of land adjacent to me in the Florida Keys
yeah, Sea Anemones don't produce much forage  :cool:
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:43 am »
I base it on how well the property owner and I work together. One of my yards had 15 hives on 40 acres of clover. Spun out one super and gave it to the landowner. He was checking the hives everyday and called me when a swarm happened. Saved me 4 swarms. Working together payed him will. This year because of my losses. He does not want any honey. He's happy with the halh case he has left. Has called me on 3 swarms sofar this year.
John

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:08:13 am »
A pint or a quart that will take care of their personal needs.

I find this funny.  We go through that monthly; sugar is only used to feed bees.  Besides really enjoying it, I thought I could save some money by having my own bees.  Who knew honey could be so expensive and a hobby so addictive.....  🤑😀