Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems in September  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Problems in September
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:53 pm »
So on Tuesday I did a hive inspection on the Tulip hive. I saw a big queen cell and dumb me forgot to see if there was a queen before destroying it. I looked on the next frame and there was tons of eggs so I figured if I made a mistake they could make more queen cells. I finished off the top box and looked through the bottom. I could not find the queen. She either died or I squished her but I hadn't been in there in more than a week and there was fresh eggs so it had to happen in the last three days. She probably died from some type of disease. So now I have a queenless hive with fall knocking on the door. Things are not good.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Problems in September
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:55:08 pm »
Xerox,
If you saw lots of eggs and only one queen cell, your queen is probably still in the hive. Queens are very good at hiding. Why did you destroy the q cell?  They may/probably were superseding the queen. You would have 2 queens laying going into fall and a new queen for next year.
With lots of eggs, they will probably just make a new one.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 06:59:56 pm »
I didn't want to lose this queen as she is a good layer. I will check today to see if I just missed her once it stops raining.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
Agree with Jim.  Xerox, even the best of experienced eyes can easily miss visual of a queen.  I hope your queen is fine, OK.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 11:38:09 pm »
Agree with Jim.  Xerox, even the best of experienced eyes can easily miss visual of a queen.  I hope your queen is fine, OK.

Van

My 16 year old eyes are already failing  :cheesy: I found her today!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:23 am »

Van

Good deal. Did you find any more queen cells?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:04:28 pm »

Van

Good deal. Did you find any more queen cells?

No I didn't. They finally realized its too late for a queen to mate with fall only three weeks away.