Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A dying hive, saved by inspection.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
A dying hive, saved by inspection.
« on: September 06, 2019, 01:36:48 pm »
I am going to tell you about a hive that the bees were preparing to die and actually separated most bees for sacrifice saving only a few nurse bees and the queen but the hive was diagnosed and saved.  I will tell you the story as I saw the events unfold before my eyes.

A few years ago I placed 3 newly created identical hives on stands.  I say identical, I mean same size hives bodies, same number frames, same number of bees that is in all regards theses 3 hives were identical hives.  One very important note, all three hives were presented with 5 unwaxed frames.

The time is early June and the bees were still foraging but nectar and pollen were kinda in short supply.  By July a dearth had set in and the bees started wash boarding and fanning.  By August all three hives were bearding during the day but hive number 3 did something unusual.  Hive number 3 would remain bearded on the outside of the hive all night unlike hives number 1 and 2 which bearded during the day but retreated into the hives as the temperatures dropped.

Hive number 3 caught my eye as this was the only hive out of the 3 newly created that remained bearded all night outside the hive.  All hives in the apiary, about 15 bearded during the day, retreated into the hive as the temp cools at night.  Hives 1 and 2 behaved as all other hives.  Only number 3 was different.

Remember I noted above the unwaxed frames that were presented to all 3 new hives.  So I conducted an inspection of all 3 newly created hives.  An inspection revealed hives 1 and 2 did NOT wax out the new frames and had ample honey stores.  Hive number 3 did wax out the new frames and was void of honey.  In fact hive number 3 had practically no food stores.  Hive number 3 used up all their honey to make wax for the frames and now a full dearth is on so food was not available.

The honey bees of hive number 3 realized their situation, there were going to starve so most bees bearded on the front and prepared to die leaving what little food there was for a few nurse bees and the queen.  This starvation became obvious with inspection and I immediately provided frames of food. 

Immediately after I placed frames of food in hive number 3, the bearded bees marched into the hive.  Problem solved as hive number 3 began to beard only during the day and would retreat into the hive at night as the other hives.

Beeks, wax is expensive as I like to call it for the bees.  Hives 1 and 2 saved their honey and did not wax out the new frames.  Hive number 3 waxed out the frames and in the process used their food supply.

Wax is expensive to bees and it takes 5 pounds of honey to produce one pound of wax.  My amazement with this story is the bearded bees of hive number 3 were willing to sacrifice their lives refusing to eat the last few honey reserves.  Everything work out well, hive saved.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: A dying hive, saved by inspection.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »
Great job at paying attention to details.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
That is a great lesson on several levels Van.

1 - the importance of inspections. The Beek may have things figured out that will work for 10 hive ... but not the 11th hive ... we still gotta inspect.
2 - observation by the beek. Just can't beat "paying attention"
3 - Bees are weird!
4  ... etc, etc, ...

Great lessons there. Thanks for sharing.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 11:11:41 pm »
Great experiment,  If you were feeding with top sugar feeders. Do you think outcome would be different?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:17:25 pm »
Another thought, if you baby-sit bee's to much is probably not good.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:31 pm »
Mr Van. Just goes to show, if we are farming bees, managing bees, then we have a responsibility to take care of the bees once we box them, as they are no longer are in the wilds of nature but now in our care and manipulated, now in artificial circumstances, dependent on us, as well as themselves. Good job!   I am appreciate you sharing this experience with us here.
Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »
Van, I'm working with feral bee's going into 4th winter ,5 hives . 1 with wanyes bee, state came , sugar roll 5-6 count. Never been treated.

anything