Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Seems like extra drones in one hive  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Duane

• House Bee
Seems like extra drones in one hive
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:44:39 pm »
Most of my hives have little or no capped drone cells.  However, one hive seems to have quite a bit.  There are also capped worker cells and the eggs I see are singly in the bottom.   At least a couple of frames have mostly solid capped worker cells on most of the frame.  The hive is 2 medium boxes and has some new wax, like maybe it's still getting nectar or robbing from others.  Should I be concerned?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Seems like extra drones in one hive
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:25:27 pm »
You may have laying workers competing with a queen for some reason.  It?s certainly the wrong time of year for a hive to be producing drones.  Most hives are kicking drones out now.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:40:49 pm »
Most of my hives have little or no capped drone cells.  However, one hive seems to have quite a bit.  There are also capped worker cells and the eggs I see are singly in the bottom.   At least a couple of frames have mostly solid capped worker cells on most of the frame.  The hive is 2 medium boxes and has some new wax, like maybe it's still getting nectar or robbing from others.  Should I be concerned?

Duane, where are you located?
Presence of drones in September can be a cause for concern, or not, depending on where you are and what your climate is.

Generally, going off of the scenario as you have described:  When I see a hive that has a lot of drones that is followed by eggs and a good tight brood pattern ... That says to me a failing queen that has naturally been superseded and the new queen is in process of taking over and righting the balance of the hive.  The drones will soon be tossed out, ... depending where you are.  This is a good news story which you have no concerns about.  What you should do, besides just leaving them alone for awhile to get sorted out, is the next time you are in the hive pick a nice day and take your time to go through and spot the queen. Once you see eyes on her and if the pattern is still tight and right, along with fewer drones present, you know your new queen is good2great.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 08:27:04 am »
I'm in northeast Kansas.  Since it takes 21 days for brood to hatch out, I'm not sure I can distinguish current worker brood from that of several weeks.    I was concerned by the time I determine there's no more workers, I may get laying workers.  I see larva in worker cells, but not sure they are worker larva.  And by spotting a queen, will I know if she's good or laying drones?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Seems like extra drones in one hive
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »
The brood is capped between days 9 to 11.  Once it is capped it should be quite clear whether it is drone or worker brood.
Post some pictures of some of those frames and we can tell you what it is.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:40:56 pm »
I'm in northeast Kansas.  Since it takes 21 days for brood to hatch out, I'm not sure I can distinguish current worker brood from that of several weeks.    I was concerned by the time I determine there's no more workers, I may get laying workers.  I see larva in worker cells, but not sure they are worker larva.  And by spotting a queen, will I know if she's good or laying drones?

One characteristic of "laying worker" or failing queen laying unfertilized eggs, is that worker sized cells will have "bullet" cappings like drone pupae.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:47:39 pm »
But a young Queen can take some time, to get going

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »
Oh I can tell "capped" drone cells from capped worker cells.  I just don't know if there are more workers being formed or not.  Guess wait 9 days and then know, but then I don't know if they are ones from 21 days ago.  And if I wait until I notice there's no more "capped" workers, it will be too late with laying workers.  But I looked again and still capped worker brood, and some larva in worker cells nearby and some in drone sized cells.  And, I cannot count out the possibility of a replacement queen which has just started, so maybe wait.  Just seemed odd with drones, but then there is that possibility of a failing queen and a replacement queen, so maybe best to leave alone.