Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wind & Bees?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
Wind & Bees?
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:33 pm »
So I thought I'd ask this and see what you gentleman think.

How do you deal with wind problems and your beehives?

When I see the hives it doesn't look like a lot of hive lids in lots of people are secured on the hives. Some people put a rock or brick on there, and some of you guys live in tornado alley. (We don't usually get high winds where I live, but once every blue moon we'll get a wind storm that's enough to really talk about.) I guess some of the rocks are more from raccoons and skunks though.

When that happens how do you deal with this as an issue?

One one hand it seems like the hives are pretty heavy by themselves, but do you have to anchor them down or something? Do you ever have lids blow off or them get tipped over? (I hope not. but seemed good to ask.)

The spot I live in is sort of a wind tunnel canyon mouth. There's not really high wind, but there's usually a 20 mph breeze at night. The canyon in a way shields us from some high winds, but you always have that chance that you can get something stronger.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Wind & Bees?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:55:25 pm »
I have not had a problem with wind. We have had wind up to 60 mph here in North Mississippi since I have been keeping bees. I did have one tumped over by some sort of critter, but that was not a time of wind. Where are you located, at least where are your bees located? I rather doubt that you take them round and about to all your homes such as Rocky Mountains, US, North America, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy ETC.  They would probably get tired of all the traveling.
 :cheesy:
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:47:51 am »
If you have a lot of storms with high winds,?I recommend that you get a ratchet strap for each hive and keep them strapped. There are a lot of times, like right now, that I keep them strapped.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:56:35 pm »
look around the forum, you will find ma posts where people have lost hives to storms.  Ratchet straps generally keep things in one stack.  A few have resorted to using tie-downs attached to screw hooks in the ground.

I'm fortunate in my area.  Such high winds are very rare and, when they occur, my hives are protected from the worst by fence and a shed.  Bricks are enough.   My biggest worry related to secure tops is the occasional racoon.  But my dog keeps them away.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
I use ratchet straps for every hive.  In the Rocky Mtn. There are bear, straps will save a hive from wind and bear.  I am talking the average bear, I realize a determinant bear will prevail.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
I use heavy duty car bungees to strap down my hives, just as insurance against an animal or a gusty storm. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 02:14:57 pm »
I made my stands low after a shear wind blew over all my hives.  That helped.  Also keep them level.  A leaning hive blows over easier than a level one.  Unfortunately lowering the stands to 3 1/2" lead to skunk problems.  Fortunately that lead me to top entrances which solved that and other issues.  Before I lowered things I was using concrete blocks on the lids.  Not cinder blocks...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything