Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc with queen cells  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Nuc with queen cells
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:30:03 pm »
Have a ton of crazy family things happening lately and haven't been into the bees for a week or so. I have a small hive that's in a 5 frame nuc box. They only have 4 of the 5 frames drawn out and have started on the 5th. Today when I went into them there are quite a few capped queen cells on one of the frames. I spent some time looking for the queen and didnt find her. The cells are all over that one frame and not just on the bottom. Do you think that they are wanting to swarm or maybe I killed the old queen accidentally? Either way I'm going to dig through them again tomorrow and find out for sure if shes in there. I dont mind splitting them because I'm feeding hard right now as it is. Thoughts?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Nuc with queen cells
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:00 pm »
The bees know best. I would leave them alone for about 3 weeks.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 09:24:36 pm »
I dont mind leaving them alone either idee.... :grin: what do you think they are up to?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 03:43:43 am »
Sounds like they are either doing an emergency queen replacement or a supercedure. Either way I would definitely leave them alone for the next 3 weeks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:13:39 am »
That's two votes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:39 am »
Fish, is there room for the queen to lay?  You mentioned you are feeding heavy.

If there is no room for the queen to lay Then I would look for the queen, cage her, split to be safe from swarming.

If there is room for laying then I would follow ID and Jim.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:35:24 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »
Under what conditions would he not leave them alone?  For example, he said the cells were all over the frame.  If they were only on the bottom, would that make a difference?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 07:11:51 pm »
Only in the spring.

*Shel Silverstein*

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:00:04 pm »
Under what conditions would he not leave them alone?  For example, he said the cells were all over the frame.  If they were only on the bottom, would that make a difference?

Mr. Duane, Queen cells on the bottom of the frame most often means swarming whereas in the middle of the frames usually means supersedure.  Not a guarantee but raises eyebrows, has high probability especially in the Spring.

This time of year when there are both queen cells on the bottom and middle confuses me.  I would have to inspect for more data, looking for:  eggs, queen, hive population, flow, mites, beetles, disease, stores, available laying space.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 07:46:26 pm »
Went into them today and happy to report that they didnt swarm, they re-queened themselves for one reason or another. She's a good looking lady and us already doing a good job of laying a good pattern of eggs.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 07:51:13 pm »
The old queen was way darker than her. I like them dark for some reason.
Take a kid fishing !

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 09:13:20 pm »
Fish, oh wee, my Man, that is a nice looking queen!  Good thing for you that we are not neighbors.  I?d be raiding your bee yard, I would grab that good looking queen, cage her and run home with her.  She is a beautiful queen.  Glad your nuc ordeal, queen cells, turned out very good and thanks so much for the follow up.

Me, I like light colored queens, yellow bees, light color honey too.  But I also like the solid black queens.  I have one jet black queen that lays typical Italian color bees.  I figure black color is a recessive gene among honeybees.

Add: Good camera; close up, detailed, crisp, colorful, and clear.
Van
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:32:11 pm by van from Arkansas »

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:55 pm »
Van I hear ya! I dont know why I like the darker queens. Weird I guess. I do like my honey to be light though.  I'll trade you this queen for your black one  :wink:
Take a kid fishing !

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:26 pm »
You drive, I?ll pay the gas.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 10:39:52 pm »
Pretty Lady. ... on white comb too - great picture.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »
Good catch Cool, new white comb.  I was do focused on the queen..,

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 12:45:24 am »
Good catch Cool, new white comb.  I was do focused on the queen..,

Nothing wrong with that Van - in that pic, seeing the white comb is like seeing what brand of sunglasses are on a Bunny ... not necessarily a good trait!  :cool: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 04:48:57 am »
Sounds like they are either doing an emergency queen replacement or a supercedure. Either way I would definitely leave them alone for the next 3 weeks.
Jim Altmiller

How many -queen raising- days are left in the season in that area?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:11:43 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 07:02:02 am »
If Fishing Nut has a good golden rod flow going on, he probably has another month where the bees in that area are still producing drones. Our first frost could be in November or December.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 10:50:14 am »
Jim Altmiller

How many -queen raising- days are left in the season in that area?

Mid Sept and I see drone brood in at least one hive.

anything