Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden updates.  (Read 22436 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Garden updates.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 09:10:47 am »
bwallace, My neighbor ventures into blackberries a couple of years ago. I'll try to get you some names and info on what he has. I want to say he got most of them at "Petals from the Past" up in Jemison. Dr Powell is a retired professor(?) from Auburn. He's basically a fruit scientist. If it won't do good around here they won't sell it. I've never been to a nursery who's staff were so knowledgeable. Most of the staff has been there multiple years. www.petalsfromthepast.com
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »
I have heard good things about them. I have always wanted to stop by. Thanks

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »
My tomatoes are starting to come in heavy. I grow about 8 different varieties but I prefer the cherry tomato of any variety for eating because they are just so good straight off the vine.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
Right now I'm starting to get the first fruits in my garden. Couple of cayenne, zucchinis'(sp), squash, bell pepper, and looks like the other stuff may be a week or so off. We got a ton of blue berries already. For some reason the blueberries didn't taste as good as they did last year.

Now that I got a decent tractor I should be able to get the garden in early. We just haven't been getting the rain either up here.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 11:30:22 am »
I agree my blueberry taste was off this year. It was odd.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 03:14:42 pm »
I Google d "How to tell if your blue berries are ripe." Somewhere out there in cyber space I read someone else saying the same thing. Love me a good blueberry smoothie.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 08:29:23 am »
Update on blueberries. Background info; It's been dry around here for the last month. I watered my blueberries twice. In the last week we've got about an inch and a half of rain. I am always impressed what rain does for a plant. Water will sustain a garden but rain will make it thrive. My blueberries are bigger and better tasting now. Nothing's changed in our picking schedule. The flavor difference is awesome!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 10:26:29 am »
I have watered mine once a week when it was dry and even the rain has not improved the flavour. Perhaps my last two bushes just now starting to get ripe will have a robust good flavour

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 10:16:00 am »
In the storms last night I lost pretty much most of my corn and some ripe tomatoes but with 60 mph winds that was about as good as could be expected.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
Picked my first 5 gal bucket of blackberries. Made two pints of no sugar just berries for sister in law. Good but very tart. Who she likes it. Made 2 cases of jam .one with 1/3 less sugar and one with wisteria/ honeysuckle honey. Both taste great. Now just cooling on counter. Waiting to put labels on. This should last till next year or when I sell them. When people find out I made them they want to buy them because it's ten times better than the store ones they say.

John

Now waiting for my black walnuts to get ready. That's the slow ones. And hard to shell.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 07:28:46 pm »
I shell my walnuts with a big shop vise. Easy to control the cracking pressure and not press shell pieces into the nutmeats.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
Still slow and tedious to do.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 09:28:28 pm »
Divemaster
How do you keep the blackberry jam from crysalizing?  We make Blackberry and grape but both have to be ate with in a couple of months or the have a gritty taste.
Thanks
gww 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »
Divemaster
How do you keep the blackberry jam from crysalizing?  We make Blackberry and grape but both have to be ate with in a couple of months or the have a gritty taste.
Thanks
gww
I use the ball pectin. Follow to the tee. Use the hot bath.  Then store in cool dark pantry. We keep ours at  62- 67 degrees. Cane keep jams a freeze dried goods for year or more.

John

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2016, 11:18:22 pm »
Divemaster
Thanks for the responce.  My storage might be a couple of degrees warmer. 
gww

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:00 am »
Divemaster
Thanks for the responce.  My storage might be a couple of degrees warmer. 
gww
Also with small seed fruit I use a juicer to remove seeds. Just use the the juice so their could storage problem with having seeds in jams. Don't quote me on this just a thought. I had heard of that problem but have not had it because I don't have the seeds in my jams.

John

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 09:56:35 am »
Divemaster
I get the crysalization on the grape jelly also.  I have read a couple of tips on the internet about leaving the juice in the fridge for a day or two and skimming/straining it and such but must admit I haven't followed through.  I think mostly we are just going to freeze the juice and make jelly as and when needed.  I don't know how welches does it though and am always looking for tips.
Thanks
gww

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:04 pm »
Squash is coming in pretty good now. We'll pick and store it in the A/C for about 2-3 days until we get a good mess. Then we'll pressure can it and put it up.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 03:39:43 pm »
This is probably going to be the 2nd best year for my garden ever if things just stay about the same. Tomatoes are making huge good tomatoes, the squash is still going strong, the peas did great, the corn has been mostly salvaged, the green beans did great, my peppers are loaded. The only downside has been lots of less than tasty blueberries.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 07:50:25 pm »
I lost most of my tomatoes. Something in the soil is making them dry up. I have never had this problem before. Sent off a soil sample to be tested. Luckily the couple that owns one of my outyards has had a bumper crop this year. Picked bushel of peaches. Bushel plums. Bushel of cucumbers. They have muscadine coming in strong. He wants me to help him make wine this year with them .should be enough for 15 gals.his black walnut trees are loaded. And he wants me to have them all. He says he has 20 gal bags of nuts still in his freezer. So I'm lucky enough to have some crops to eat this year.l'v picked two five gal buckets of blackberries. They are drying up fast so lucky to get that much. But the ones I got are still plump.crushed most the packed five one gal bags  to freeze for pies or cobler.

John

anything