Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Number of Days in Observation Hive?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Number of Days in Observation Hive?
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:15:18 am »
My dad and I are in a disagreement. Sometime before the 17th of this month I want to take frames from my split (hopefully all of the ones with queen cells) and put them in my observation hive. I want to keep them in there about two days or at least over night (one day total). All I want is to photograph a queen bee emerging from her cell.
As I see it the only risk is if I put the newly hatched queen bee back in the hive and another queen bee is also in there and they sting each other to death.

What do you all think?

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
Re: Number of Days in Observation Hive?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:22:02 am »
well one of them will survive but yea if u do that im think you would be better off just leaving them in the observe hive or just makin a nuc out of it but im not experienced like the rest so u might wanna wait for their opinions on it  :)                  :mrgreen:
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:03:23 am »
What's in the observation hive now?  I think it's a great idea to get the pictures.  Are there other queen cells in the hive?  I'm sure it would all work out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:00:10 pm »
Right now nothing. It's a simple two frame observation hive I only use to observe the bees. The entrance is even closed off. I'm wondering if I even have enough room in the thing for the queen cells without damaging them with the glass.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:23:02 pm »
>I'm wondering if I even have enough room in the thing for the queen cells without damaging them with the glass.

Maybe not.  You'd have to try it to see.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything