Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Steam For cleaning Frames  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Steam For cleaning Frames
« on: March 14, 2020, 02:37:39 pm »
I posted a video here showing how to steam clean frames of wax and propolis. The video was from Tim from Ireland, youtube channel Way Out West. Tim taught the method as an easy, quick, efficient way of melting wax and propolis . Jim told me he was going to use a set up like this a beefest last year.

Jim, this is my question to you, and, or anyone else which may have put this practice into effect. Have you yet dared to try this on plastic foundation? If so, what, if any effect on plastic foundations did you observe?

No doubt if left in to long this would more than likely deform the plastic? But if timed properly, I am wondering if this would work on plastic. Hopefully someone here has already broken the barriers of trying this,  and has a good answer?

Thanks,
Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Steam For cleaning Frames
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 07:41:01 pm »
The plasticell does definitely warp beyond being able to reuse.
It works real well for natural and wax foundation.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 07:47:55 pm »
It works real well for natural and wax foundation.
Jim Altmiller

Thank you Jim.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:12 am »
If you were running plastic foundation why would you steam clean?  Isn't plastic meant to be scrapped?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:36:42 am »
If you were running plastic foundation why would you steam clean?  Isn't plastic meant to be scrapped?

No doubt that scrapping would work well with plastic because it worked well for me last season via foundationless. But, I am hoping to use and extractor this season and therefore the drawn out plastic comb can be immediately placed back in action. What I do not know is how often, (many years), should we use used comb before cleaning the old waxed comb off of plastic and starting over with new drawn out wax ?

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:59:26 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:39:07 pm »
As you may be able to tell Ace, I know nothing about using plastic. Perhaps you meant simply scrape away the old comb when its time to start over with new wax?  If this is right, when is the right time to do this with honey comb? Such as a time frame? Every two years, three years or more? In others words, how do you know when it?s time to clean your plastic foundation of old wax for a fresh start?

Thanks,
Phillip Hall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:09:27 pm »
Phillip,
You scrape the wax when it turns dark black. Usually this is the fourth year, sometimes earlier.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:47 pm »
Phillip,
You scrape the wax when it turns dark black. Usually this is the fourth year, sometimes earlier.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks Jim, It seems even clearer to me that plastic is a sound investment for honey production foundation. But  I still like the idea of the Paus method for brood for more than one reason. Thanks Jim and Ace for you answers.

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:26:43 am »
Phillip,
I prefer natural foundation in my brood frames. I like smaller bees for mite control.
Plasticell is much more stable for extraction but a well connected foundation less frame also holds up real well. I just have to check the foundation less frames before loading them.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 09:07:52 am »
when it?s time to clean your plastic foundation of old wax for a fresh start?
That depends totally on you.  Some beekeepers never do.  I was going to say about 6 -10 years.  You have to ask yourself why would I do it and then pick a time interval.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 12:36:11 pm »
when it?s time to clean your plastic foundation of old wax for a fresh start?
That depends totally on you.  Some beekeepers never do.  I was going to say about 6 -10 years.  You have to ask yourself why would I do it and then pick a time interval.

Yes, good question Ace. Why would we need to strip the old wax off of plastic cell?,  (anyone)?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 04:20:46 pm »
Two reasons.
1. Wax moth larvae destroy most of the comb and make a mess of it.
2. The wax is old and black and has a large build up of poisons in the comb.
Testing over and over again has proven that old wax collects poison.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:59 pm »
Excellent reasons that I did not think of. Thank you for the answers Jim. In your experience, does wax moths cause any damage to the plastic foundation?
Phillip

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:09:40 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:00 pm »
Excellent reasons that I did not think of. Thank you for the answers Jim. In your experience, does wax moths cause any damage to the plastic foundation?
Phillip.
They do eat the plastic but the damage is usually minimal. I have never had one that I had to throw away due the wax moth damage.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin