Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Long Lang stores and feeding  (Read 2638 times)

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
Long Lang stores and feeding
« on: September 19, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »
I started my long lang this past spring with a nuc installation - so, as you've probably guessed I'm fairly new at this and would appreciate any and all advice.  During July inspection I had several frames of capped honey and bunches of bees.  Fast forward to Friday two weeks ago -- I inspected each frame and found no frames of capped honey, a little uncapped on several partial frames, scattered brood, and once again - a  lot of bees.  With the lack of stores I figured I needed to do something to help them build up for winter.  It's been extremely dry for the past month and I assume they have eaten what stores they had managed to put up.  I have just put on the third gallon of 2:1 syrup yesterday as they have been going thru a gallon every 4-5 days.  Am I on the right track and if not I'm certainly open to suggestions.  Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Long Lang stores and feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »
Ask around to see what a hive should weigh going into winter in your climate.  Feed to that target.  This, of course, assumes a strong hive.  If it's not, then adjust accordingly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything