Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One way it was done before SHB and Varroa in parts of the world, namely Germany?  (Read 2094 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I have never seen beekeeping done in this way, even the way they smoked their bees.

https://youtu.be/wsb-uXHUoT0
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
I wonder what year this was filmed . . . I see it was posted to youtube in 2011, can anyone tell what the year the vehicle is in the film?
The smoker was really cool, and would like to know more about it, like health issues, especially since they are burning dried tansy.   Do I remember correctly about skeps being illegal in the US or are they just not used because of mites/SHB?   Great find Phillip!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Seeb,
Each state has different laws. Most require bees to bee kept in inspectable hives so that the Inspecter can check them for AFB.
I have watched most of this series, very informative. I don?t recall a date but I thing they are 40 or more years old.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I think Jim is right, from one of the comments made during this film, I estimated this to be in the early to middle eighties?
Actually I can not take credit for the find. Capchkn  posted a similar video, which this is a part of that series of that YouTube channel. A spin-off if you will.

Jim, because of SHB and varroa, this type beekeeping would no longer be sustainable? 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
I found this link on the pipe smoker, so you can still buy them IF you want to, but I've not found any further information on how they are used

https://www.bienen-voigt.de/en/beekeeper-products/smoke-pipe-filius

They also sell herbal tobaccos and one tobacco that is hemp to use in these smokers - I'm afraid some of the larger beekeepers might get distracted before making it to all their hives if they went with the hemp.

https://www.bienen-voigt.de/en/beekeeper-products/bivo-tobacco-1-2l

and one more thing - did you catch how the guy maneuvers his hat when putting on his veil. I like his style -

Thanks Jim, and Phillip, and Capchkn! I have bookmarked the series.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Seeb. Lol on the hemp joke.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee

Offline rast

• Field Bee
 Hat on top of that thin veil would be a necessaity with a hot hive, exsperiance is speaking :wink: 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
I have never seen beekeeping done in this way, even the way they smoked their bees.

Funny thing is they understood bee thermodynamics better than we do today.   Believe it or not,  dung covered straw skeps have about the same insulation value as our current polystyrene hives.   Still only 1/2 the value of a tree with 6 inch walls,   but way more than the standard 3/4" wooden boxes.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison