Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Waggle Dance Help  (Read 518 times)

Offline sjcm820

• New Bee
Waggle Dance Help
« on: January 21, 2024, 11:59:52 pm »
so were just starting this course about beekeeping and im trying to understand the waggle dance.

in the attached image the left shows the sun north, and the food to the northeast (black lines)
with the blue lines showing  waggle reference lines ine blue, which just so happen to line up the vertical with the north where the sun is.

in the right it shows the sun to the west, am i correct with the waggle line on the right that it would still give the correct angle FROM the sun? then when bees exit using that angle from the vertical it would lead them to the food?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Waggle Dance Help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 12:38:45 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, sjcm820!  :happy:  I'm not entirely understanding what you are asking.  The bees exiting the hive will use the sun as their reference point, so the dance angle relative to the vertical on the comb is the flight angle relative to the sun outside the hive.  Perhaps this thread on the waggle dance will help to answer your questions. 
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51143.0
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline sjcm820

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 08:41:10 am »
the blue line is the directions/signals given in the hive, the black is the actual. so on the right, its giving the angle from vertical, then when outside the hive applying the directions given to the sun will then lead them to the food right?

Offline sjcm820

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 08:52:01 am »
ok i figured it out, it is in fact what i was thinking sorry for the confusion

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 09:45:50 am »
Welcome to Beemaster sjcm820. Thank you for joining and sharing your interest in bees with us. Considering the link above The15thMember directed you too; One of our members, "Van From Arkansas" started that topic on this subject a few years ago titled:  "Waggle dance of a bee: explained." In fact the staff here decided to 'sickie' it in the sticked section in General Beekeeping. Maybe you will find something in that topic will be interesting to you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 11:16:10 am »
the blue line is the directions/signals given in the hive, the black is the actual. so on the right, its giving the angle from vertical, then when outside the hive applying the directions given to the sun will then lead them to the food right?
Oh, I understand now.  Yes, you are correct.  No need to apologize, and feel free to ask us any questions you may have.  We love talking about bees!  :smile:       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 12:09:16 pm »
And I can learn from your questions too. Welcome to Beemaster.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 01:22:31 pm »
So ...

anybody ever try putting a bee on a stick and waggling it around to send the bees to a particular area ?

got a neighbor that hates bees and I don't care for him.

Welcome to beemaster ! (beware, some of us are not as helpful as others  :cheesy:)
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

anything