Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aggressive Hives  (Read 8016 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Aggressive Hives
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »
I have seen and read here where a lot of people have said hives get more aggressive as they get larger. Is it because there are more guard bees or what? Also should I leave the natural area where I cut the grass around them larger and will they be an issue 20 feet away in my garden?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Aggressive Hives
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:14 pm »
The term aggressive might not be the right word.  Defensive might be a better word.  And yes it is because as the hive grows it has more bees to do all the different tasks including guard duty.  It might also be that they have more stuff to protect.  Most hives will not seek out and destroy anything outside of their hive.  You might get one or two buzzing you as the hive gets larger.  I just got done mowing in front of my hives(within 3 feet) without so much as a single bee leaving the hive.  The hives range in size from a deep and two mediums to a deep and four mediums full of bees.  I have a patio an raised beds within 20 feet of them and will occasionally see one or two fly by but that's about it. 

If mine ever got aggressive enough that I couldn't walk past them then there would be a lot of splitting/requeening going on.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:07:16 am »
Thanks. Mine are just two deeps and they never even pay me attention but I do run something of a u pick operation so was just curious. Of course the u pick stuff is much further away than 20 feet.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:33:33 pm »
I have a defensive hive this year.   They ignore me on the mower and as long as I'm moving.   If I stand still within 8-10 ft or so of the hive, they send guards.   That's not a big deal unless one of them head butts me and gets caught in my hair.   That brings others. [Yeah, that's fun.]  I've been pinged twice in a week just because one of the guards has had a mishap and they've panicked.    I'm watching the hive from further away these days. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:23:06 am »
To show my ignorance what do you mean by head butt? How and why does a bee head butt?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 02:29:46 am »
A bee flies head-first into you.  That's a warning.  If you don't react appropriately (move away), they might escalate and use the business end on you.  You'll know it when they head-butt you.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 06:55:00 am »
Quite often they will head butt you right between the eyes or on your forehead or face. If they do, move slowly. If you jerk away, too much motion will cause them to immediately use their weaponry. Most of the time, if I completely ignore them they will eventually go away.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:47 am »
And, I find that they are incredibly persistent and hang around for a long time

Mick

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:19:29 am »
Oh ok. I have yet to be headbutted but thanks for letting me know what it is.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 09:01:23 am »
That's not a big deal unless one of them head butts me and gets caught in my hair. 

Might I suggest a hair net, hat, or wrap when near the hive.

I don't consider a hive aggressive unless the bees follow you for a distance when you retreat.  I have been stung for no reason mowing the lawn that is 20 ft in front of the hives on the other side of a 6 ft fence.  I walked up to the hives with veil on to inspect if one was getting cranky and they all were fine.  The only thing I can think off is there was one in the grass that had a near miss with the lawn mower and let me know it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:37:29 am »
send guards.   That's not a big deal unless one of them head butts me and gets caught in my hair.   

I have yet to have a bee in my hair but did have a wasp try to dive bomb me through my thick curly hair that sheds water almost and never penetrate the hair. So I say bring on the bees to the hair. It could be interesting to watch them try.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:29:22 pm »
Watch your ears, eyes and nose.  If they are on a mission they don't give up.  I have short hair so they either go for the  bald spot or the top of the ear.  Swatting them away is almost a guaranteed sting somewhere.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »
Quite often they will head butt you right between the eyes or on your forehead or face. If they do, move slowly. If you jerk away, too much motion will cause them to immediately use their weaponry. Most of the time, if I completely ignore them they will eventually go away.
Jim

Jim - This is good advice.   I don't know that I'd actually be able to DO it, but it's very good advice.  :)
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Flyin Brian

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 12:49:04 pm »
When I get "informed" that I'm too close to the hive, I usually have a bee buzzing about an inch from my ear.  I like to sit and watch them going about their business, but sometimes they don't want me there and that's how they let me know.
I have noticed when I'm wearing a darker shirt they are more apt to buzz me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »
Took one to the cheek today. I took my cousin and her boyfriend out to the hive and let them open it up to look inside. I was 10 feet away and they had let the smoker go out without me knowing and I got my first head but and face sting. No big deal very little swelling just some itching.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »
So now you know about head butts :cool:
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:05:46 pm »
Hmm... I have  feisty hive this year for the first time. Sometimes they ignore me within 4 feet, other times I can be 15 feet away and suddenly get very persistently buzzed and followed for as much as another 30 feet. I am hoping that when the new brood starts to hatch out, they will have a more peaceful temperament!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »
Yeah a headbutt and a flail. I could not remain calm after getting pegged in the head unsuspected.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 08:20:35 am »
I got at least 3, maybe 5 aggressive hives this year. I get stung 30-40 yards away. Sometimes 60 or so. The honey should be getting close to being cured, after that queen pinching or moving time. They didn't get crazy until I went through the hives. Also noted is one of them is my 'mega hive' (3 deep brood box). Tons of bees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:25 am »
What do you mean by the honey being cured and by mega box 3 deep with brood? How many boxes do you have on them?

anything