Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first extraction!!  (Read 4564 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: My first extraction!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 10:00:15 am »
I crushed it all-
So two questions- without using a frame spinner

What do you do to save comb on a foundation frame? Instead of decapping and scraping I guess just decap and drain what you can then give the wet frames back to the hive?

How do you save comb from a foundation less frame and still extract the honey?

After watching your video, I pulled a few frames from my bees also. I have yet to purchase an  extractor. I had the very same questions.  I did a little research and came up with a video called extracting honey on the cheap. I did as directed and am happy to tell you that I did save my foundation less foundations . Not the comb itself but the important foundation. Don says the bees will quickly repair the comb. Just another reason I am glad that I placed  fishing line in my frames before the comb was drawn, I could.not have been more pleased. I am wondering if this same process could be done without any type backing. I was really surprised as to how sturdy the natural foundation was. If I can find the video, I will post it here for you if you are interested?
Phillip
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:38:41 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:02 am »
Jim can I incorporate the new frames along with foundation frames as I switch over or does the whole box need changing at one time?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »
Salty,
If you put foundation and foundation less in your hive, they will build the foundation less first. Sometimes they will ignore the plastic and even the wax. I often put un drawn frames of any of the 3 between fully drawn frames. In a good flow they will draw them but not always.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 10:12:27 pm »
Salty, I can't say anything about extracting, but my bees are building wonderfully on foundationless frames, the kind with the wedge you break off. I re-attach it sideways with glue and a cheap staple gun, and no wax applied at all. The bees steadily build comb on each one.
If there is straight brood comb guiding their work, the bees build it evenly. If not, they build it it bulging out with honey sometimes, but I understand that they build badly on wax and plastic also sometimes. Cao helped me to understand how to slowly feed empty frames into the brood area, so those nice, straight, fully attached combs slowly work their way to the honey area. I imagine the former brood frames filled with honey would stand up better to an extractor.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 01:49:43 am »
How much honey did you end up getting?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 12:54:59 am »
Cao helped me to understand how to slowly feed empty frames into the brood area, so those nice, straight, fully attached combs slowly work their way to the honey area.

Cao is a nice fellow and knows what he is talking about, I listen closely to what he says and agree with him almost every time...
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »

7 quarts from 7 frames - some had the foundation and some were from the original cutout- very sweet!!  Somewhere over my fence to the northwest!!
It?s up to me

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:42 am »

7 quarts from 7 frames - some had the foundation and some were from the original cutout- very sweet!!  Somewhere over my fence to the northwest!!

Wow nice!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 08:44:08 pm »
I cracked the top today and holy moly those girls are thick as theives up in the super.
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 02:19:38 am »
I cracked the top today and holy moly those girls are thick as theives up in the super.

Good deal!!! :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln