Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watts needed to vac bees  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
Watts needed to vac bees
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:52:13 am »
What size vacuum cleaner needed for beevac? I locate one with motor on top of drum that is 800w. Seems to have good suction but I would like some advise please. 14kPa suction power delivering 25 Li/sec airflow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:09:05 am by oldman »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Watts needed to vac bees
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:26 am »
Oldman,
I believe that one is more than enough. Probably more than you need. Bee sure to have at least a 2 inch diameter variable air relief hole near the suction hole. With a beevac the biggest killer of the bees is too much suction.
Check out Robo?s Robovac.com site and watch his video if you haven?t already.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:22:57 am »
Here is the link.
https://www.beevac.com/
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:53 am »
Ok thanks. Yes, I watch many videos and know you need vent wide open and turn it back until you just move bees. I just couldn't recall how big - most of the guys have 2500w shopvac for their workshop.LOL

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:01 am »
For my first beevac that I built, I used a small hand held vacuum. I used to repair vacuums for my wife?s day care boss. It was the worst of the bunch and I later glued it back up. I used it on a small job a couple of weeks ago. If your beevac is sealed up really well, it does not take much suction. My home made Robo type beevac needs a stronger vac due to the screen and other air leaks.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:49 am »
thanks again, Jim. I am new to beekeeping and have caught two swarms. Trouble was they were my bees. One left a hive due to paint fumes and another because they ran out of brood before the queen got to laying. Both would have been easier with a vac. Cheers

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:16 am »
A vacuum is a tool of last resort. Swarms are normally gentle. No need for a vacuum.  With a vacuum several will die. If you kill the queen it was a waste of time. You want a smooth hose. Not the corrugated hose that comes with it. Use as little suction as possible. I had my vacuum suck the bees into a double deep box with frames  some comb in top box. They cannot be in a pile on the bottom of a bucket.  If they bounce through a hose and hit the wall you will kill half of them. If hot out I put a chill pack in bottom secured. When you get home you have to hive them. Pour them in a box? Maybe they will stay

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:55 am »
I'm with ed/La.  I own at least two bee vacs right now and have owned a couple more in the past.  I quit using them about a decade ago...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
I have never used a vac but all of them are designed wrong.  As La states the inside of the hose should be smooth not corrugated (pool hose) and the vacuum canister should be a cyclone so there is no wall or sudden turn to crash into.  The heavier object (the bee) will slow down and fall out of the high air velocity at the top of the cyclone.  This is the most gentle way of vacuuming bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:21:00 am »
In both of my beevac boxes, I have 2 inches of soft foam on the opposite side of the intake. The bees bounce off of it without getting hurt. Having 18 inches from inlet hose to the back wall also helps.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 03:45:00 pm »
After a cut out there will be bees everywhere. After you box as many as possible giving them time to migrate to box then using a bee vac to clean up makes sense. Leaving a thousand or two bees makes customer nervous. If a hive is hot and to many angry bees to get your hands on the comb is another time I would use one.. Other wise just suit up and go for it. I heard of people using vacuum on swarms they could not get to because to high in tree. I just let those go. To much effort for this old man. Another time might be a trap out. I don't do them but you can harvest pounds of forage bees(old bees) by vacuuming up before they figure out how to get back in. Again to much work but if you want the bees and have the time and energy go for it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:20:05 pm »
I have vacuumed up several swarms that were on second story building walls and one that was 20 up on the trunk of a tree.
I use a 10 foot piece of 1 inch PVC pipe and a ladder to get the bees.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:26 am »
How about a clear PVC hose so there is no fittings and then you could see the bees going through it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:17 am »
I like the clear hose. Not sure what it is made of. Bought it at Home Depot. Dirt Rooster has interesting design for bee vac. He is on YouTube. Not sure if he comes here.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:55 am »
If it is clear and you can bend it it probably is PVC.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 03:02:08 am »
Here is the link.
https://www.beevac.com/
Jim Altmiller

I have watched Jeff Horchoffs teaching on the building of this RoBo vac. I really like it!! If I had not already built one similar to Schawees  and JPs I am thinking I would go this route.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 03:13:53 am »
Some folks use swimming pool hoses, I do also. I bought mine at either Lowes or Home Depot, I can not remember which as I looked at both . One has a almost smooth inside the other does mot. I went with the smooth inside. This hose is blue  and black on the outside. I have my vac set where it is just strong enough to pull the bees in. I have had tremendous luck with this and have killed very very few bees. I even suctioned a queen once unknowingly and no damage to her either. One more tip. I would suggest using a Pool pole, the one which extends to 16 feet.   Good luck
Phillip
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:23:12 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything