Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1.5 oz. hex jars for wedding favors  (Read 3086 times)

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
1.5 oz. hex jars for wedding favors
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:54:55 pm »
I've purchased some 1.0 oz. and 1.5 oz. hex jars for wedding favors. Does anyone know how much honey they will actually hold, by weight?

Also, I am planning on getting some 1" round labels to put on the lid with the name of the bride and groom and the date. Should I also put on a small label with my outfit's name and contact info? (Perhaps on a small return address label.) Opinions, please.

Thanks.

-James Wagner
James M. Wagner

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Re: 1.5 oz. hex jars for wedding favors
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
Lately I've been using those full sheet labels when making labels for jars of honey or jam. It allows you to make the label any size you want and just cut them apart. But if the round labels will work for your jars, that's fine - just a suggestion. As far as your own name and address, I would prefer to see that on the bottom of the jar, as inconspicuous as possible. You don't want to take away from the names of the bride and groom.

What a nice idea! I would love to get a small jar of honey as a wedding favour!

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:15 pm »
OK... I am not into weddings but it seems cool to me. I do agree that you would probably want 2 labels. Top for the Queen/Drone and bottom with your apiary information.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »
I would consider the two ounce honey bears and they hold two ounces. And decorate nicely. I would forget the contact label totally-- Just me. Maybe somehow you can make business cards available upon request.

John 3:16

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:54 am »
Business cards might be better. I like that idea as well.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:31 am »
I've purchased some 1.0 oz. and 1.5 oz. hex jars for wedding favors. Does anyone know how much honey they will actually hold, by weight?

Also, I am planning on getting some 1" round labels to put on the lid with the name of the bride and groom and the date. Should I also put on a small label with my outfit's name and contact info? (Perhaps on a small return address label.) Opinions, please.

Thanks.

-James Wagner

I would put a sticker on the bottom of the jar with your info!
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:45:46 pm »
I'd do the sticker thing on the bottom.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »
I like the business card.  You can put more info and it won't get messed up with honey.  You could do both, of course.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:00:40 am »
OK... I am not into weddings but it seems cool to me. I do agree that you would probably want 2 labels. Top for the Queen/Drone and bottom with your apiary information.

I'd go with this. Business cards will be lost or misplaced. As long as your sticker doesn't take away from the bride and groom, I'd say you're golden.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 02:42:00 pm »

Thanks.

-James Wagner

A close approximation is that honey is 50 % heavier than water.  Honey weight will vary because of differences in water content, but 18% water is a common metric.
Water weight and volume are constant.  1 ounce of water by volume is 1 ounce of water by weight, so 1 pint (16 ounces) of water will weigh 1 pound (16 ounces) (clever, those English!  To heck with the Metric system).  Therefore, a pint of honey will weigh app. 24 ounces, one ounce jar will have close to 1 1/2 ounces of honey by weight.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »
As long as your sticker doesn't take away from the bride and groom, I'd say you're golden.

After considering.... I agree. But I still believe the bears would generate more buzzzzzz :wink:

Duhhhh I missed it, you have already purchased the hex jars....
John 3:16