Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 100%  (Read 5392 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
100%
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »
I feel I can now safely say I had zero hive loss this winter. Compared to 75%, 50%, and 25% respectively for previous years.

I think the reason is because of what I read another keeper is doing even further North and wetter locale than I.  But the point of the whole matter is leave the bottom of the hive open.

I can hear the screams now.  Yep, year before last I left one hive open....It went into that winter the weakest hive and came out the strongest of the bunch.  This year I left all 4 hive bottoms open.  Sure it has been a mild winter, but also very humid/wet, so it is a wash in my book

So, what I do is use a screened base.  Next up is a Miller board.  It is important that the slats are 90 degrees to the frame so that air flow is jumbled and not direct.  Then my normal boxes.  A Vivaldi board on top with obviously the cover ( have a mix of garden tops and flat tops.)

Anyhow, I am feeding since winter has been so warm.  We have trees blooming already, pollen all over the place, not too many flowers or sources of nectar.  I still have not broken the seals on the boxes and looked around inside, just opened the top to put a feeder in.

I still expect a hard freeze too.  I am not giving lots of feed, they are on something, but I expect the cold or rain to shut them down again between now and the real spring.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: 100%
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:36 pm »
Got no bees yet but I did build the miller slat board on the lansford hive placed on a solid bottom.  If I ever get bees I hope they survive this way.  You post helps my confidence a bit.
Thanks
gww

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 08:00:37 pm »
Well a solid bottom does not let enough air move to vent all the hive moisture.  That would be the same as closing up the bottom for winter.

I know this sounds very unorthodox, but a breeder up on the Olympic Peninsula where it is wetter by far than here does something similar to this.  His main difference is no Miller board and he uses an empty deep on the bottom. 

Now by no means doe this mean you don't need to insulate the hive.  You do need to insulate the sides, possibly the top, though I have not insulated the tops.  I also block the wind from the bottom of the hives with foam board insulation.  That includes having a board in front of the hive and about 2" higher than the openin that prevents wind from blowing in the main opening which is also wide open. 

We did go down into the 20's one time this winter.  Lots of 30's and 40's.

Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:23:11 pm »
I got to get bees first, but I hadn't intended on insulating,  I did think the miller board was a staging area and was also supposed to help with mice and moisture and to get the queen to build out the bottom brood chamber better.  I have been reading for a bit and lots of differrent ideals on doing things and they don't all agree.  I like when you post what you have done and what you think it has done for you.  Most that I read about using slatted boards and screens are saying to run them in line with the frames.  I didn't do that either. 

I am still in the homework stage of bee keeping.  I still don't have a sure avenue to even get bees.  Some ideals but haven't spent any money yet.  I mostly live through you guys and try to learn as I go.
Thanks for sharing.
gww

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:17 pm »
Yep, not sure why the inline versions if the intent is to mix the air as it moves into the hive.  Have used the Millers since the beginning, but perpendicular to the frames.

Yep I don't think that what works for me has to be what anyone else does.  Just offering what I am doing, why, and my subjective observed results.  You know, any study can be made to show whatever the author wants.  Same holds true on chats.

Oh ya, you don't need to insulate year round, just winter.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »
Yep, not sure why the inline versions if the intent is to mix the air as it moves into the hive.  Have used the Millers since the beginning, but perpendicular to the frames.

I think it has something to do with mite checks.

Again, I apretiat your post, I like to hear successes and failures.

I was thinking of trying without insulation all year, may be a mistake but I am a bit in the experiment mode right now, When I get bees, One long hive and one langs. made of all mediams.  If half way through winter I am killing them I may rethink. 

Have you ever tried straw between the inner and outer cover to help with moisture?
Thanks
gww

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:37:43 pm »
Well that would not work in my area . I leave my SBBs with there insert in all year and run solids pluss i leave the entrance reducer on the smallest hole. Plus i run black hives and the bee's love them. I use top entrance's on some hive's and just prop up the tel lid's and foam board up 1/2 in.  that keep's care of my moisture . Plus 1 in. foam board under the tel. top. I have only lost 1 nuc so far this winter and that's out of 32 hives.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »
Glock
Perhaps this would ring a bell with you.

"I always tell the truth even when I lie".

I am guessing your comment is based on my straw question.  I didn't quite get a full picture from your post, Probably to not being familiar with the lingo yet.  Foam board on top and below the lid?  Top entrance all year long?
Thanks
gww

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
Insulating is a thing of choice and location.  With open bottoms I want the sides insulated. 

I think straw would get moist and hold the moisture.  Air movement is the only way to remove moisture.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:34:12 am »
Glock
Perhaps this would ring a bell with you.

"I always tell the truth even when I lie".

I am guessing your comment is based on my straw question.  I didn't quite get a full picture from your post, Probably to not being familiar with the lingo yet.  Foam board on top and below the lid?  Top entrance all year long?
Thanks
gww
Foam board on top and below the lid=
Top entrance =
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »
What you finally solved was the condensation problem.  Not the way I would have, and not a way that would work here with our 60mph winds when it's -20 F... but condensation is the primary winter problem.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 02:49:43 pm »
Yeah... The predicted high for tomorrow is 2. Thunder snow is predicted as well. The bottom line is beekeeping is quite location specific and what might work on the Pacific Northwest probably won't work everywhere.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:42:54 am »
I'm wondering if you have top ventilation?  I don't leave the bottoms open.  I have a 3/4 X 1/4 in (19 X 6 mm) opening at the top rear cut into all my inner covers, which are solid plywood with styrofoam insulation.  It rains all winter here.  Right now the temperature where I'm at is in the teens, and my front entrance is on the 3 inch side, just having changed from the 1 inch because I was sure the cold was done for this year.  I'm just not used to AL yet I guess.

Edit:  I just looked at the thermometer outside, it says it's 30 F, I'd say I can't figure Alabama weather out yet...

So far the bees have done best on SBBs in the heat, and closed in the cold.  I have kept them in solid bottoms all year with the entrance block removed and robber screens all summer as well.  They have not closed the vents nor have I lost a hive in winter yet.  Now summer, SHB, mystery losses, and robbing I can tell stories.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:28:52 am by CapnChkn »
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:56 pm »
What you finally solved was the condensation problem. 

I have tried many things that WORK in different locations. Not ALL of those things work here.. Like MB We have WIND and COLD.. we may or may not get snow, but the wind and negative temps are guaranteed..   SBB's REALLY dont work, and an attempt at NOT using an upper entrance failed miserably costing me two hives..  What works here is solid bottom boards and a small (1") upper entrance to take the moisture out.. with the reducer on the 3 inch opening at the bottom. Foam on top to keep condensation from dripping on the bees.  It has worked since 1977..  In effect, what I need to do is STOP trying these new things that work elsewhere and stick to what I know works here.  Lost only a single hive last year, it was a dink I should have combined...

THis year, I bought packages to see how they fared...
   9 of the ten superseded the queens.   6 of those ten daughter/queens are now dead. I have not lost any of my other hives.... to date...   two of them were in nucs, four in full sized hives.  30 hives and 10 nucs now = 26 hives and 8 nucs.

A proven method, combined with proven bees have usually kept me at less than 3% winter losses...  Here in the heart of Neonic corn and bean country..
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:53 pm »
CapnChkn - any snow yet? (lol) I can laugh. I work outside and I got rained on since around 9:30 this morning until about dark.

OldMech - I lost a lot of queens this year. Packages and others as well.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:00 pm »
I looked out the back door to see if the light may have burned out in my makeshift greenhouse and saw this!

I bet you saw some of this by now!   :^D
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 01:15:27 am »
Dang GSF thats not a good thing.. So far, I have only lost bees due to my own idiocy besides the package bees, but were at - 25 wind chill with warnings and advisories..   will see what i have left alive when it warms up...

ABout the same as here CapnChkn, but add 30 mph winds to it!    :cool:
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:33 pm »
OldMech, The queens beat anything I'd ever heard about concerning bees. I found a couple of them crawling around in front of the hive with no other queen in the hive. I hope this year will be better.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »
Well Jack we did not have a winter this year. We are 30+ growing degree days ahead of the calendar, warmest on record for December, January and February. No snow on the mountain and bees are bringing in water from the pond (normally 45 degrees and rain). Farmers are working fields and we set record high after record high.   I am glad you ran 100% but it has been easy on us out here but far from typical.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 09:10:27 am »
agreed
Jack of all trades
Master of none.