Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 10 frames in 3 hours.  (Read 1646 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
10 frames in 3 hours.
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »
Saturday and Sunday, I built ten frames (dadant style) which took eight hours start to finish. That's wiring and all. Well I watched a YouTube video of a guy making them a little less involved with all the milling. I gave it a try today with a little modification and it took me 3 hours (not wired yet). I'm sure if I had all the saws set up with the stops and jigs it would be less, but still don't think it is worth the time. I built 3 medium supers and 20 med. Frames this weekend, so I guess I did save about 50. Net.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 10 frames in 3 hours.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »
Nice job Rookie. I have made every part of my hives except the frames. I have thought about how I would make them. I do not know how you did it but I would take a white pine 2 x 8 and shape it down it's entire length to look like an end frame and then slice 1/2" sections to make the ends of the frame.
I just buy them in bulk and. Put them together.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »
I build frames in the winter . I can get about 100 frames made in one day. But normally I take one day and make top bars.then one day make bottom bars. Then one day to make ends. Ends take the longest. The forth day I assemble. Doing it that way I can do four or five hundred frames. I don't wire till I get ready in the spring because the frames will compress and twist.then the wires become loose.

John

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:56 am »
  Yes Jim, I started with a piece of 1x12x19" and rabbitted the bottom side of the top bar first. After that I ripped each bar, I got 9 pieces out of it, but my math told me I should have got 10, but I guess I was a little off. The end bars are not perfect 3/8" width as I resawed the 3/4 in half. I built them with the left over material, from making the bodies.

That's good to know John, I will not wire till ready to use. And thats awesome, 100 day, maybe I'll be
Making some this winter.

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
I can cut out about 12-20 in an hour. I used to round out the top with a small bevel on the bottom...Thhppttt on that! now they're just square. may help in preveinting a place for SHB to hide down in the resting area. The Ryan Beneke video on Youtube is the way I make em. If your going foundationLESS than dont put that bottom score in as it gives the SHB a place to hide. Easy and simple...I do use clean 1"x8"x? cuz it's just easier to work with vs pallet wood.