Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: where did they go  (Read 1120 times)

Offline givemeone

• New Bee
where did they go
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:39 pm »
Our 2nd spring of beekeeping and two more steps backwards.  Last spring we had an early (to us) swarm in April.  We managed to harvest a little honey last fall.  Purchased another hive body with hopes of splitting our hive early this spring.  Opened the hive up a couple of days ago and all the bees are gone. 

Maybe 100 (at the most) small dead bees.  Nothing else except for some bees robbing honey, perhaps from last years swarm.  Lots of food in the hive.  A few dead beetles on the bottom board and no other clues.

I'm curious how late in the fall and how early in the spring you all go into your hives to check for problems.  When the honey was harvested there were thousands and thousands of bees and we had a very mild winter.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: where did they go
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »
They starved to death.  Or queen issues.   Too few numbers to move the cluster to get to the honey.   How did you treat for mites?

Offline givemeone

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »
Well, there was a bunch of honey in the hive.  Very few dead bees.  I looked for a queen and did not see one amongst the bodies.  We don't specifically treat for mites.  We treat for Noseama and feed the bees honey be healthy in the spring/fall.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »
My money is on the mites.   Stick the frames in the freezer and you will have jump start on a package.

anything