Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Canadian beekeeper  (Read 174 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Canadian beekeeper
« on: April 26, 2024, 07:09:41 pm »
Anybody watching his videos?
I find it interesting how somebody in a very different climate to mine and at a very different scale to mine keeps bees.It is nearly May and he is still feeding gallons of sugar water and masses of patties.
All the gear and sheds he owns, the queens he buys ...amazing.I wonder how he can make a profit?I wonder what the honey is like?The switch from feeding to harvesting honey seems so very short and before he can blink there is more snow.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Canadian beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 11:41:10 am »
Max I am assuming your are referring to Ian Stephler? We have another very successful beekeeper here. TheHoneyPump who lives in the far North of Canada. He as actually posted some interesting things which pretty much covers the points of your questions here. I highly recommend you going back and checking out his post. He is like a walking bee keeping encyclopedia! :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Canadian beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 11:56:11 am »
I never watched a complete video by Ian, just bits and pieces.  Mostly listened to him on a few webinars.  His family started a 3500 acre grain and cattle farm in the 1920s.  Very hard working family.  So, he had the resources to get started.   I have no idea if he makes money beekeeping but maybe in combination with Youtube views, he seems to add some drama to his videos.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.