Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Guy In Oklahoma  (Read 2725 times)

Offline O4L

• New Bee
New Guy In Oklahoma
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:06:51 pm »
Hello everyone from central Oklahoma!

First off let me say that right now I have no bees. I have no bee hives. Heck, I don't even have a place to put them, but I am trying to learn a few things before I actually start beekeeping.

I have been curious about beekeeping for a while and have been researching a little bit here and there, usually when I would have a conversation with someone that had bees and it would stir up my interest.

Recently a friend told me that they are buying some land and starting a hobby farm. They even invited me to come live on this farm if I wanted to.

One of the things they mentioned was that they wanted bees, but they had a few misconceptions about how it worked. When I told them the very small amount of knowledge I had learned about bees they asked if I would like to take on beekeeping on the farm.

So now that I may soon have a place to practice my ignorance, I am trying to learn as much as possible at this time from mostly online sources, such as this forum and a local online group.

I have been reading a lot and watching videos. I am also taking an online Beekeeping 101 course.

From what I have learned so far, I am really leaning towards the long hives. They just make sense to me and I think they would be easier on my old body.

So thanks for letting me in and I hope to take advantage of all the experience and knowledge here.

If there are any other Okies here give me a holler!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: New Guy In Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »
I'm not an Okie but I am giving you a holler from North Mississippi. lol. Welcome and wishing you success!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline O4L

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:47 pm »
I'm not an Okie but I am giving you a holler from North Mississippi. lol. Welcome and wishing you success!
Thanks!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:56:47 pm »
welcome  :happy:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:38:00 pm »
Glad to have you here.

Offline O4L

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:51:23 pm »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 11:09:12 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline O4L

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 02:35:57 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks!

(This forum needs a like button.)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:47:19 pm »
Gotta ask. What does 04L stand for?

Offline O4L

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 09:12:33 pm »
Gotta ask. What does 04L stand for?
Funny, I use that handle on several forums and I have never had anyone ask before.

O4L is short for Okie For Life.

-Don

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »
Welcome, O4L.  You're setting yourself up for a good start getting educated beforehand.  I would encourage you to see if you can find another beekeeper near you that will mentor you, even if only for a few visits, as it's a huge confidence booster, especially in the very beginning those first few times you open a hive for inspection.  It's nice to have someone experienced to guide you and remind you of things.  They're also full of tips and knowledge that you can't get except through experience.  I read many, many books (more than a dozen) getting into this, but my mentor experience, although brief, was very valuable.

Offline O4L

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 09:58:32 pm »
Welcome, O4L.  You're setting yourself up for a good start getting educated beforehand.  I would encourage you to see if you can find another beekeeper near you that will mentor you, even if only for a few visits, as it's a huge confidence booster, especially in the very beginning those first few times you open a hive for inspection.  It's nice to have someone experienced to guide you and remind you of things.  They're also full of tips and knowledge that you can't get except through experience.  I read many, many books (more than a dozen) getting into this, but my mentor experience, although brief, was very valuable.
Thanks!

I know two or three people that have bees so I plan on trying to spend some time with them to get at least a little hands on experience if they don't mind me coming around with things like they are right now.