Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All mediums?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
All mediums?
« on: October 15, 2014, 05:10:01 am »
I have read Mike Bush say he went with all mediums, and like the idea. I only have 3 deep boxes full of comb. I built 8 deep nuc boxes and have 6 deep bodies. The 3 full of comb are part of my wintering hives on the bottom. In the spring, I am thinking the cluster will be up in my mediums. I should be able to take the deep off and cut it down to a medium size?

If all that is correct, then it should work well. But my question is, once I start making and trying to sell nucs, will customers shy away from mediums. I'm not sure if I would of picked a medium over a deep if given the chance. Thoughts?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: All mediums?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 06:39:26 am »
Rookie,
In the spring, your brood will probably bee up in the medium. It will also move back down into the deep as they start to build back up. You will want to pull the deep early before they do. After that you could place it above a queen excluder, make sure your queen is below the excluder and then remove it when it is all capped honey.
You can take that box and cut it down to a medium on a table saw.
As to selling nucs, there are people that are going to want deeps and those that want mediums. If you are only going to make a limited number, you can easily sell the mediums if you let the local club members know you are selling them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
>once I start making and trying to sell nucs, will customers shy away from mediums.

Right now the demand for medium nucs outstrips the supply.  Some will, of course, want deeps.  Some will, of course, want mediums...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:58:46 am »
Guess, I'll do both and see what's hot in my local. Thanks Jim and Mike, for the reply.

anything