Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any commercial value in native beekeeping?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
Any commercial value in native beekeeping?
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:17:16 am »
I remember at my grandmothers house she had a hive of these in an old piece of tree trunk in the yard. I was quite interested in them, though no one attempted to remove any honey. My main memory was of them getting stuck in my hair(80's mullet hairstyle) if I got too close lol.

I have heard you can buy hives made for them. Can the honey be sold or are the quantities too small and more something you would do more for personal consumption/ interests sake only?

Offline crispy

• House Bee
Re: Any commercial value in native beekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:09:12 am »
Hi mate i have researched the native bee a bit ifyou do a search there are plenty of you tube videos on them and how to make a mini hive ,from what i can gather the honey can only be harvested once a year and is of limited quantity but they probably need as much help as the normal bees in our society at themoment so even if you dont get any honey your still helping them along .

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 12:11:45 am »
Well after some more research on this subject it is as well i didnt go ahead and build a hive here in south australia as the native bees here are solitary ,apparently it is only the bees in the north sydney and above that actually have colonies ,so i have read we have about 20 different species of native bees here and all are solitary .

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:33:38 am »
Sixtus
Plenty of dollars paid for native bees' honey. $1400 kg at lots of top end restaurants and they can't get enough of it. Downside is you are lucky if you get 1kg per year!