Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa mite detected at Port of Melbourne  (Read 8652 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa mite detected at Port of Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 09:41:58 am »
For your sake I hope you are right. As I read the report, the captain stated that dead bees were found on the floor of the ship so apparently the bees had indeed " orientated " or at least tried to on their journey , I don't think they were being good little bees and staying put in their place, just because the ship hadn't yet reached dock, of course on the high seas there was no where for them to go but round about the ship, Naturally using plain common scene, the drones would naturally do what most sailors do when arriving at port? I really doubt that they would sit around and wait for the officials to come and Eradicate them with in  "hours" of their arrival in Victoria, or wait to pass customs before taking off,  maybe looking for girls, and unlike a sailor, they need no permission  to leave the ship, no leave of absence, or any bus or taxi to take them to the drone hang out or bar. They have wings to go as they please. So, we in America were also once  Afrinized bee free. How did they reach Florida, I will tell you, on a ship. Your country, your bees , your future, your concern, not mine. I was only trying to help and point out that the mite should not be your only concern, but I say again best of luck to you cousin... And you are welcome for my heart felt concern for your providence weather you appreciate it or not. Reguards, Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 10:03:16 am »
There already is Africanised bee genetic strains found in Australia bee populations.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:11 am »
There already is Africanised bee genetic strains found in Australia bee populations.

I am sorry to hear that. I hope its not something that wii  have to deal with anytime soon omnimirage. Here in my part of Mississippi, they have not yet arrived.  Best to you omni. Sincerely, Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 10:34:54 am »

[cough]

... after 65 years of swallowing my tongue enough chivalrous humilty remains
to say "thankyou omnimirage".
:wink:

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

[cough]

... after 65 years of swallowing my tongue enough chivalrous humilty remains
to say "thankyou omnimirage".

Bill

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 04:31:04 am »
It's not an issue where I live, as they appear to be mostly in the eastern states.

Here's my source, it's a pretty informative interesting thing to glance over:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13592-015-0371-0

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 10:13:22 pm »
But that article says, ?It is clear that these bees are not ?Africanized??.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:33 am »
It's not an issue where I live, as they appear to be mostly in the eastern states.

Here's my source, it's a pretty informative interesting thing to glance over:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13592-015-0371-0

I hope that your Africanized bee does not have the temperament of the invader or alien that some of our states are having to deal with here in America. I hope its not the same bee which has invaded us from South America. Some here, on this forum, have suggested we not call them, "killer bees" and prefer, and suggest that I, We, instead call them the Africanized bee. Of course, there are several varieties of bees in Africa, not all being the mean aggressive type. And any cross with any on of these bees from Africa could be rightfully and fairly be called an Africanized gene bee?  Brother Adam searched the world over and spent a lifetime developing a "better bee" and with mixed breeding came up with the buckfast bee. So why would we not call them, the bee from South America, as they are known, killer bees? Brother Adams' bee, a gentle high production bee was, and I suppose still is sought after. Brother Adam and his research concept, was introduced  to me by Mr.Van by google search. But, the strain, that was developed in South America know as "the killer bee" or africanized bee, as some here in America prefer, is no kin to some of the gentle bees carrying (an) Africanized bee gene, such as Bro. Adams', found elsewhere in the world; as far as I know.  As I understand it, the South American bee was developed from a very aggressive African strain of bee, deep in South America and unlike the gentle strain of African bee that Brother Adam used in his development in Europe.
   I am no expert here and do not by any means claim to be. I am new and am constantly trying to learn. If I need to be corrected feel free to do so.
   Have you watched the following video?  If not you may be interested and realize why I spoke up about this concern in my first post in this topic section and said,  " no where in the report was the concern of testing this rogue colony, as to weather it was Africanized, mentioned by Mr Nigal Ainsworth. "  The title of the youtube video is>>> .      Risk Takers - 112 - Killer Bee Removal Expert | FULL LENGTH | MagellanTV   

Best to you all, Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:53:40 am by Ben Framed »

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 06:14:41 am »
It shows in the picture diagrams the percentage of Africanised bees in certain regions.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:57 am »
It shows in the picture diagrams the percentage of Africanised bees in certain regions.

Yes Omni you are right and that's why I submitted my above post number 27 hoping to clarify that there is, or could be a difference in the origin of your Bee and the South American bee, also known here as the Africanized bee or killer bee. I am thinking that Brub58 may have been referring to the killer bee? Just trying to eliminate the confusion. Does your bee in the chart illustrate the freakish aggressive behavior of the South American bee or perhaps the more gentle hard working nature as Brother Adams'bee?  Thanks,  Phillip
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:31:33 am by Ben Framed »

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:08 am »
I don't know but it's a good question.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:55 pm »

In short.. generally we in Aussie have a differing perspective of what constitutes
"aggressive" considering the AMM descendants to be less aggressive than the introduced
Russkys but more aggressive by far than hybridised Italian lines.
But whatever, the Americas experience is creeping in and beesuit sales are soaring!

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 09:30:08 pm »

In short.. generally we in Aussie have a differing perspective of what constitutes
"aggressive" considering the AMM descendants to be less aggressive than the introduced
Russkys but more aggressive by far than hybridised Italian lines.
But whatever, the Americas experience is creeping in and beesuit sales are soaring!

Bill

I realize that this topic was about the mite and has gotten of target. Mr Bill if you get a chance to watch the video you will see the ultimate in aggression.  We have been warned for many years here, of it's steady progress through country after country,  steady headed Northward ,(our way),  from  South America. The video that I stated the title on one of the above post, is just one of several that has been made. National Geographic did a documentary about this bee several years ago.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 05:35:37 am »
Post #31 should tell my level of awareness.. I do not know now what else to
add other than all seems well in Melbourne thusfar.

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 06:55:18 am »
Ok Bill

Phillip

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:30 am »
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51520.msg456152#msg456152

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51520.msg456171#msg456171

"Sure after what happened at the port it would be the diligent thing to do but would
it have been th same number six months ago?"

Most worth their salt gave been onto it since that VJ intrusion in Townsville
back a while. Whilst I was then well away from the site I was still running 50
odd colonys so I got shod of them whilst I could, expecting the worst and not
able to do the work required. We were moving anyway and I'll confess to being
slack with the few I run now as there is a significant buffer with many a
beekeeper between us and Cairns port with no migratory operators in the district.
Still the day will come so vigilence is paramount.

Bill

--

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-06/varroa-mites-found-in-townsville/7572540