Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Cane  (Read 24410 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sugar Cane
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:15 am »
Hey Rob, the sugar cane done pretty good. I haven't had a chance to do the sugar thing. In the future, 2, 3, 4, years I'm going to fence in a bottom in the front field. A friend of mine planted some in the 70's a few hundred yards up in the same bottom. He said you never seen the like of sugar cane. He made good money off of it too. 10 cents a stalk, you pick.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 10:30:38 am »
i expect you can get more than a dime for it these days

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:04 pm »
He was getting either 50 cents or a dollar towards the end. I'm thinking the stalks I bought were about $2 apiece. I had some type of borer worm get in a few of my stalks. It's still quite the learning experience for me. Like apples. Growing up we had apple trees and I don't remember the birds being an issue. My young trees probably made 3 or 4 dozen this year. I watched through out the summer as one after one were being eaten through by birds. I finally got my busy but out there and put screen wire around the last 3 or 4 apples I had left.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:29 pm »
I've planted my first patch of sugar cane this past April. I'm about 20 mile  north of Columbus, GA so we're about equal as to how far north we are.   I planted mine in April because I was cautioned that the stalks may not survive the winter if planted last fall.  Anyway was just wondering if you watered during the summer and if you did how often? I didn't water and the stalks were short and not much juice as it should have been.   Just starting a new project with cane growing.  I may set up a mill and kettle but want the cane growing figured out first.
One more question, what type of sugar cane are you growing?

Bellcow

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 04:02:43 pm »
Welcome Bell.

This will be my second year with sugar cane. I plant mine in the fall. I didn't water mine hardly any last summer and I should have. Overall the stalks didn't get as thick or as tall as they did the year before. I've heard both ways on planting, in addition I've heard bed them up in straw/hay so the knots will come out on the stalks.

I have at least three different types. I'm sure one is blue ribbon because it's a pretty dark blue looking color. Another is lite blueish green, and the other is just green. I buy them at an area where lots of produce farmer/yard sellers met. If I was told the names I don't remember them. I let the cold get to mine this year so I didn't get to enjoy it nearly as much as I should have. My plan was to plant this harvest in the bottom of the front pasture but we haven't goten hardly any rain since around the second week in August and the ground is like concrete. I was re-planting some of my stalks and I dug up some stalks I planted last fall. They still looked good and fresh. They had just a little roots but no growth/sprouts.

The state of Alabama, Dept of Agriculture, has a paper that comes out about every month. It's called the Alabama Farmers and Consumer's bulletin. There's a sugar cane/syrup making bunch that advertises in there. Sort of like a bee club/association. Maybe Georgia has the same publication with a different name.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
Most things that I have read say plant in the fall but I spoke to someone in east  Georgia and he said I might better plant in the spring being how far north I was.  Now I'm  beginning to think it may not really matter.  I know it was grown around here years ago.  I planted red cane and I'll try to plant some green cane next.

Here in Georgia we have the Market Bulletin put out by the ga. Department of Ag.  The site/paper has a section with cane for sale.  Most cane growers are way south of me. 

My cane turned out ok but just might try to figure out a way to put some water on it.  What about fertilizer?  I was told I needed to use a tobacco fertilizer.   If I can remember it was 4-8-14 or something like that.  The ticket is in a file out at my barn but I think this is right.  Some growers say tobacco fertilizer some say it doesn't matter.

By the way Elmore Co. is nice. Have spent some time around there a few years back.

Bellcow

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »
Bell, 10framer isn't that far from you. He might have an idea on who to check with on growing/fertilizing it. I just had the impression it was
in the grass family and nitro sodium would be what it craved the most. I usually use triple 8 or 13 which ever is the oldest in the shed.

If you're fooling with bees I suggest you update your profile and put your location down. A lot of bee questions are location specific and require location specific answers.

glad to have you aboard.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »
I was thinking it was just in the grass family also but some will only use tobacco fertilizers.   I've got a contact down south about Moultrie Ga. and that was what he recommended.   I was asking because different soils may need different "types" of fertilizer.   I may plant another small section of red cane and use triple 13 and see what the difference in taste is.

I have 8 hives of bees  also, so thanks for pointing out my location info.  I didn't  mean to omit that.  I don't know where the hopelessly lost came from.  I do understand that knowing someone's location makes a big difference on advice when it comes to bees and plants.

Bellcow

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 05:06:35 pm »
bell, i know my way around ellerslie pretty well. 
i got my seed cane from a guy in dublin.  it's blue something or other if i remember right. 
the guy i got it from is in his 80's and he said you only need to water it about 3 times a year.  he said you want to plant it on a hill in sandy soil.  seems like ellerslie had a lot of red clay if i remember right.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re:
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 07:05:47 am »
I would love to plant sugarcane. Not gonna work in New Yuck though. What is the growing season? If I ever build a greenhouse it might be fun to try.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:28 am »
Eric, I'm going off memory so it's probably wrong, I'm thinking my sugar cane started coming up in March. Compared to corn/peas it's a slow grower. I should have harvested in September. My thinking on your part is you can probably grow it but it may not get as tall. Last year my canes were taller. The harvest part of the canes was around five foot.
Shoot, give it a try. Experience sometimes triumphs the written word.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re:
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 01:53:40 pm »
There is usually snow on the ground here in March. The ground is usually frozen... A few years ago we had a very mild winter and I planted cold weather plants on March 15. Then we had a hard freeze and I had to replant. Even peas, broccoli, and Swiss chard doesn't survive weather in the low teens.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
Yes 10framer lots of red clay hills around here.  Cane can be grown down in bottom areas if you can find a place.  I'm just trying to have me a small patch just to learn something new.  I  remember some old  timers talking about growing sugar cane years ago around here when I was young.

What would bring you to Ellerslie?  Not much here. 

Bellcow

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:47 am »
my dad used to work for sonat, i think it's el paso now.  before the housing crash i sold material out there now and then.  i promise you there is more there now than when i lived there.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »
I planted some in red clay, didn't see much difference. Could be that I've been adding organic materials to it for a while now. Leaves, hay, chicken & goat poop.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:27 pm »
10framer, I used to work for Sonat.  Started in 1980  retired 2007 all of it at Ellerslie c/s.  I'm Gilbert Andrews.  Thats where I picked up the nickname "Bellcow".

Bellcow

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »
bill hardy was my dad.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
Hey 10framer.  I remember when you lived at the station.  I enjoyed working for your dad.  Those were the good old days at SNG.

I do have a lot of clay In my soil but the low area has more moisture than up on the hills.  I plan to try to set up a way to water nextyear.

Bellcow

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »
the old man i bought my seed cane from says to plant in sandy soil on a hill and that you should only have to water it a few times a year around here.  he also said not to plant it in black dirt.
a lot of guys that worked for dad tell a different story.  grady ivey told me a story about them running underground lines at the auburn station and dad only rented the trencher for half a day and they ended up digging a lot by hand.  he described him as "thrifty".

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »
Grady would have rented for the week and only use it one day.   We installed 3 yard lights while your dad was there.  The lights were on steel poles and bolted to a concrete base.  Your dad had grady order the concrete.  Grady called for a full truck.   Didn't need but about 2 yards maybe less.  Your dad never knew that. 

The fellow you got your seed cane from may be the same guy I  talked to about year or so ago.   The guy from dublin.  He recommend not planting till the spring in my area.

Bellcow

anything