Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overwinter Queen Issue?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Overwinter Queen Issue?
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:47:55 am »
I had one package of bees from last year that never really did much. Never really built up all last summer  but enough to overwinter. I always suspected the queen never got properly mated well. Out of 4 hives it always lagged way behind. I decided that I was going to replace the queen this spring. I looked at the hive at the end of March and I still believed I should replace the queen. Well now I noticed that the hive has had a lot more activity so I opened the hive up a couple of days ago and to my surprise the hive is doing very well with lots of bee and on the verge of really booming. So now I am thinking should I replace that queen? Last year she seem to be a dud, but this year it hey get out of my way. I'm confused. 

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Overwinter Queen Issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:58 am »
I'm confused.

LOL if you were production minded you would have gotten rid of that colony last year but as a back yard beek you can afford the time and look what results.  I am guessing the package requeened itself and that is how it got behind but this year could be a whole different story.  I see no reason to requeen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:53:25 am »
Last year was my first year bee keeping. I wasn't real sure of what to do. I notice all last summer it lagged behind but at that point I didn't no what was wrong. I have 2 other hives that produce 150 pounds of honey last year their 1st year and are wall to wall bees this year. I had this one hive that didn't do nothing and another hive that swarmed lasted year and re-queen itself because it was honey bound. So what you are saying Acebird maybe the case. That hive never got honey bound though. I was just surprised it's doing so well this year. My next inspection in a week will be interesting as to how it builds up compared to my other 2.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »
I have noticed that my hive that survived out my two has requeened itself and is booming. I hope to split it after getting some honey.