Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive big enough to work?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Hive big enough to work?
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:37:26 pm »
Hi
My first post.  I am uneducated, so from here on out please excuse my spelling and gramer errors.

I have no bees yet.  Last summer I built seven mediam boxes and a long hive 48 inches but the standerd mediam dimentions top enterance.  I think that makes it about the same as three mediums.  I built all the frames foundationless and just cut the top bar with a 45 degree angle for the comb guide.  I built all out of a mixture of reclaimed wood.  Some pine, lots of barn oak, couple peices of wanut and wild cherry and who knows what else. I got done at the end of july and set and leveled the long hive and one mediem in my feild edge. 

I live in Rosebud MO and am on 20 acres with about 1/3 being open.

I made bottom boards and tops for the other six mediems that I intend to use in deer stands as traps.

I have tried to order bees but can't make myself pay the extra $75 and up that they want for shipping to get them early.  I have one guy about 80 miles away that will sell me a couple brood comb for about $25 apeace and give me enough bees to get started but it will be later and miss my 15 or so fruit tree blooms.  I don't care so much about the blooming fruit trees but hate the ideal of paying $200 Through $400 to get bees that might take off the minute I hive them.

They have nucs for sell but most for pick up 80 or so miles away and the end of april.  May be the best deal but I will probly just see what happens with the guy selling the brood frames if I have to start later anyway.

I am a compleet dummy, so will take any comment.  If anybody on this forum lives closer to me and is willing to sell me bees that have a chance of building up in time for winter,  I would like to hear from you.

I mostly joined this forum for advice on the size of my long hive.  Will it hold enough supplies to over winter in MO?  I built every thing the same size for interchangability and to try bees and see how it goes. 

I got some chickens and they cost more then I get but not alot more.  I have the fruit trees and garden (although my wife is the gardener and I run the tiller and make the raised boxes).

Got some grapes that never produce well.

I figure bee would be good to play with also.

I hope to do a bit better on taking care of things as I am now retired but being retired my income is more fixed,  IE: no more overtime for toys. 

I got a bunch of solar and some wind turbines so I already am a bit anti social and like it at home.  (transulate, weird).

Is the long hive usable or any other comments that might help me.
Thanks
gww
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:30:46 pm by gww »

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: Hive big enough to work?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »
darn fine job. I cant spell either so I use the spell checker ms word will help with punctuation and grammar.
but we use open office 
here I use bee masters spell checker it is easier.
Play with them long enough and you will get stung, down here for sure!
In a couple years you could do bee removals and get paid
look for a bee club locally just gotta be some closer to you

the more you plant that fruits or nuts the more bees you ll get. go for diversity to spread out the flow.
good luck

oh yes welcome

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:08 pm »
Jay
Thanks for the welcome,  I pretty much stay away from the spell checker, Though I might try this one.  The last forum spell checker I tried, wanted me to download something and when I did it screwed up my computer.  I also type so slow that at times I am so glad to be done that I just post.
gww

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
not this one comes with bee master

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
Jay
Yes, I tried it.  It worked.  To your other comments.  I probly wont try a bee oganazation.  I am not much of a joiner and I chased a manufatuering line for 30 years and my goal is not to have anything that needs to be done every second thursday of the week and such.  Don't get my wrong, I water the chickens daily but I don't have to get in my car and go somewhere to piddle at home.  I really am close to a hermit and not a very exciting guy.  Don't believe me ask my wife.
gww
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:22:20 pm by gww »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:46:27 am »
Actually, if you want to learn how to spell, you should put your spelling into the search area of google.  You'll figure out how words are spelled rather than really awn ay spill cheque.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:45 am »
Cap
Don't care if I can spell or not at this age and half the words I think I have typed are usually not in the typed text anyway.
gww

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:37:59 am »
It's cool, I think you get your ideas across just fine!
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:59 am »
not a joiner
beemaster is good
youtube JPTHEBEEMAN is good
youtube thefatbeeman os good
youtube johnathan kleck follding bills

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:28:21 pm »
jay
not a joiner
Thats me

beemaster is good
First one I joined.

[quoteyoutube JPTHEBEEMAN is good
youtube thefatbeeman os good
][/quote]

They give you hope.

youtube johnathan kleck follding bills

Will have to check this out.

Thanks for the welcome, you to cap
gww

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   You'll like it here a lot.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
Ruri
Thank you
gww

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:38 pm »
Hi gww.
I think your long hive should be fine. Of course I have no experience in them :embarassed: but from what I understand from reading(alot) that's my 2cents.
The long hive will require more time especially if you want it to produce much honey for you. Since it is just you and the missus, you may prefer harvesting a frame or two as needed instead of having a pile of work at one time. To each their own.
By the way, I think being weird is required for beekeeping so you should be a natural. :smile:
Oh yeah, welcome to beemaster.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:30 pm »
hjon

Yes, building that hive was my only option at the time if I didn't want to buy wood but still wanted to run two hive.  I thought it would be an interesting comparison and I am not interested in starting a selling buisness.  I just want at least two hives so I can share resources and it will hopefully keep me from having to buy queens and bees every year.  Time will tell.  I didn't want to do it if it was a known failure before I even try.
Thank you
gww