Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: KTBH mesh floor  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Powisden

• New Bee
KTBH mesh floor
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »
Does anyone or everyone cover their mess floor in winter to keep freezing winds out? I know winter is about to leave us in the top half of the planet but I tend to ask questions when I think of em lol.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: KTBH mesh floor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
When I built my TBH I brought the sides down far enough to put a oil pan under the SBB.  It has a door to get the pan out to clean.  I made the pan, and now I use water and dishwashing liquid instead of oil in it.  The bottom is enclosed when the door for pan is shut.  Some times in the summer I open the door for ventilation.

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »
On the few i built with mesh floors I cover them completely.  I never put mesh floors in them anymore.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
Mine has a mesh floor but that is for the oil pan which fits snugly underneath and then is enclosed by wood.  So it isn't for ventilation it is for small hive beetles.  Our winters here are mild but I would think during winter you'd want to cover it (or all the time.)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:07:38 pm »
In the summer I open the tray door for more ventilation.  The door has a latch to keep it open in the summer or closed in the winter.

Joe

Offline canadiyank

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:20:51 am »
I never put mesh floors in them anymore.

Is there a reason you don't anymore?