Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic acid sublimation study  (Read 3643 times)

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Oxalic acid sublimation study
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:33:37 am »
Looks like good results on oxalic acid sublimation study from University of Sussex, published Dec. 17: "A team from the Laboratory of Apiculture and Social Insects (LASI) has determined the best dose and method for treating hives with oxalic acid, a naturally occurring chemical already being used by beekeepers to control Varroa." http://www.sussex.ac.uk/broadcast/read/33537
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Oxalic acid sublimation study
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »
It's very interesting that this study found that spraying and trickling of OA were not only less effective than sublimation, but were harmful to the bees.  If I'm not mistaken, Randy Oliver and others have long advocated trickling as a preferred method of treating for varroa.  Thanks for posting this, John.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:19:56 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, Randy Oliver and others have long advocated trickling as a preferred method of treating for varroa.  Thanks for posting this, John.

Most welcome, Dallasbeek. I *think* I've seen a more recent take on sublimation from Randy in a positive light?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:02:14 pm »
I went to his website and searched.  Found a Powerpoint on OA.  I didn't watch his entire presentation yet,  but see that he has slides showing both trickling and sublimation, so I guess he does approve of it now.  Not to say he ever disapproved, actually, because I don't know.  I know he has used it for more than 10 years and had a long-standing position favorable to use of OA, but he used to include a disclaimer about it not being approved.  On his website, he thanks Brushy Mountain for getting it approved, which I second.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:18:22 pm »
MOOSBECKHOFER, R; BAUMGARTNER, M (2002) Erstte Ergebnisse zur Varroabekampfung in Osterreich mit
ApiOxal und dem VARROX - Verdampfer. Bienenvater 123 (11) 9-12.

This has been known for the last 13 years at least...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michael86

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:52 pm »
Well not harmful to the bees but harmful for persons, who breath vaporize OA in.....
Be careful and wear a respirator!!!

Greetings
Michael

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »
Well not harmful to the bees but harmful for persons, who breath vaporize OA in.....
Be careful and wear a respirator!!!

Greetings
Michael

You CANT breathe it in, doesnt work, no way no how. Get a whif of it and you lock up instantly, the next thing you do is RUN for clear air so you can breathe again..  Most plants have OA in them, even honey has it naturally. Our bodies can deal with OA in trace amounts with no worries. No more than you would/could inhale before you lock up is not enough to poison you...  I have read that you would have to "eat" an ounce or more of the stuff for it to cause you harm? Been a while since I read that...
   NOT saying not to be careful. Caution is always advised, just getting tired of the folks who scream DEATH and POISON if you look at the label.
   In four years of using OAV, I have gotten a whif ONCE when i was in a hurry. I can promise you it wont happen again! Anyone else that has stuck their nose where it didnt belong concerning OAV will likely tell you the same thing. No side effects, I was not hospitalized, Didnt get sick, didnt die of cancer (yet)
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:49:37 am »
   You CANT breathe it in, doesnt work, no way no how. Get a whif of it and you lock up instantly, the next thing you do is RUN for clear air so you can breathe again..

That's for sure ...  :smile:

I've been playing with OAV for many years now, and OldMech is absolutely correct - a whiff - even the hint of a whiff would be enough to make even a member of the Special Forces run for cover ... instantly, with no discussion or hesitation.  Without doubt it's more dramatic in it's 'stop whatever you're doing and run' effect than CS gas or even mustard gas.  Dunno why the military haven't yet caught on to it's potential uses.

Stay upwind of it and you'll be ok.  Preferably apply electrically from the end of a long cable - if you really need to get up-close and personal with it (say, when using a multi-dose gun), then wear a good dust respirator and don't forget eye protection.

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com