Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How should I configure my long lang for fall?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
How should I configure my long lang for fall?
« on: August 23, 2019, 06:05:34 pm »
Hey Beeks,
I do appreciate all the great advice I get here on the site, especially from you long timers such as Cao, HoneyPump, and Jim.
How should I configure my long langstroth for fall? I understand that helps the hive to produce winter bees and prepare for the cold months.
How about the configuration in the picture below?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How should I configure my long lang for fall?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »
That looks fine.  The danger is that the cluster will work its way to one end and starve with food at the other end.  I might move that first frame of honey to the other end, but it probably won't matter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 07:22:42 am »
Bobil,
One of the nice things about your location is that it doesn?t stay real cold for long periods of time.
Your bees can take advantage of the warm spells to move honey around. It also helps that there are probably only 2 months where the bees cannot fly and find pollen. The important thing for you is that they have enough honey and it looks like they have more than enough. If you can keep the mite level down, they should be fine.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:22 am »
I typically don't rearrange frames this time of year.  I figure the bees know where they want things and I let them put it there.  The diagram you have is pretty typical of how the bees like it.  I agree with Michael about the first frame of honey.  Too close to the entrance.