Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dehydrating Potatoes  (Read 11591 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Dehydrating Potatoes
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »
I'm trying to break my Pringles addiction. Does anyone have any experience dehydrating potatoes? I'd like them thin enough to be like potatoe chips.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Dehydrating Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »
I've dried a lot of things, but potatoes were not on the list.  They tend to turn dark quickly and that makes them look a bit unappetizing...  maybe with some citric acid...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:35:22 pm »
...or dry them in some hot oil/fat. :mrgreen:

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
Crisco comes to mind

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:20 am »
>...or dry them in some hot oil/fat.

Yes.  I think that's just the ticket!
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:22:23 am »
Or Transfat  :-D

I don't know what it is, but I've ALWAYS gotten heartburn when I tried to eat those Pringles.  I figured all the processing and salt in those things were probably worse for you than just eating the real thing.  They probably instantly break apart into simple sugars when they hit the stomach!   

I'll admit to a potato chip addiction too.  I've tried to break it many times, but I just end up eating more less satisfying carbs.  All those carbs turned out to be more calories than if I had just given in an eaten a few chips.  Sometimes it isn't such a good thing to avoid one's urges all the time  ;)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:44:27 pm »
those getting heartburn from eating a processed food product have a reaction to it and should abstaine 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »
I remember when Pringles first came out.  What a novelty.  :-D  My mother bought some to take to a picnic and that was our first experience with them.  I've loved them ever since, but I don't buy them because I'll eat the whole container at a sitting!

After you asked this question I had googled it and meant to try, but forgot.  was drying to many peppers this year.  here is the easiest instruction I found.

http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/potatoes.html
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »
Jay, I DO abstain from eating Pringles.  For some reason they disagree with my finely tuned system. :) 

I DO eat regular potato chips fried in oil.  I wonder what the glycemic index is for Pringles vs regular potato chips?  When things are highly processed and munched up before they enter your mouth, they quite often have a pretty high GI number!  I’m not a diabetic so it doesn’t really matter much to me, but I would generally think it's wiser to eat things that haven’t already been munched and crunched into fine particles before eating them; probably just me though  :-D

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »
I've tried breaking my potato chip habit with "lower calorie" popcorn puffs, but like Kathyp says, I would end up eating the whole bag at one time!  My instinct is the higher the Glycemic Index number of something, the faster you're going to finish the bag off  :-D 

I've tried eating the frozen potato quarters seasoned with olive oil and herbs.  They're about as fulfilling as the chips, but they just take longer to wait for.  Who has the time to wait in today's society :-D

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:35 pm »
Jay, I DO abstain from eating Pringles.  For some reason they disagree with my finely tuned system. :) 

I DO eat regular potato chips fried in oil.  I wonder what the glycemic index is for Pringles vs regular potato chips?  When things are highly processed and munched up before they enter your mouth, they quite often have a pretty high GI number!  I?€™m not a diabetic so it doesn?€™t really matter much to me, but I would generally think it's wiser to eat things that haven?€™t already been munched and crunched into fine particles before eating them; probably just me though  :-D

It is not glycemic count that bytes chemicals

KFC does me ni too

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 09:36:44 pm »
My potato addictions are two: Munchos - the pringles like snack but lighter and crispier (photo attempt below)  - I like to think of these as FREE RANGE PRINGLES and Grandma Utz's Lard Kettle Cooked Chip - these I love tooooo much.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything